Discuss hot cable in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

leespark2009

looking at tranformer 300va and 12volt out 1.omm2 t+e cable get really hot but unable to get at lights lv 20w halogen dicronic will need abit of scaffold would this inicate a possible loose connection from light to transformer therefore making the cable hot but otherwise transformer looks ok 230v 12v ect in out

looking at tranformer 300va and 12volt out 1.omm2 t+e cable get really hot but unable to get at lights lv 20w halogen dicronic will need abit of scaffold would this inicate a possible loose connection from light to transformer therefore making the cable hot but otherwise transformer looks ok 230v 12v ect in out
is the 1.00 feeding just one lamp or multiple
if more than one the cable will need upgrading as the current will be through the roof

300va at 12volt i agree looking at 25amp there you would need a 6mm at least which wont fit the terminals unless it has multiple outputs and still cables need to be as short as possible as volt drop becomes an issue, does seem either way to be a poor design and shoulb be scrapped or re-wired with a thought to transformer position and length of cables outgoing.

wait theres more 1mm t+e feeding one 300va and looped out to feed a 150 va transformernext to it then the 150va lights are one a spuspened track has 4 x 12volt 20w lamps in and then the 300va has 6 x 12volt 20w lamps in and 6 decking kind of 12v lights in the laminate flooring but again these are 20 watt lamps but the cable that i acn only find hot is the 1.0mm that goes to the suspended track lights could it be a bad neutral do you think ?

wait theres more 1mm t+e feeding one 300va and looped out to feed a 150 va transformernext to it then the 150va lights are one a spuspened track has 4 x 12volt 20w lamps in and then the 300va has 6 x 12volt 20w lamps in and 6 decking kind of 12v lights in the laminate flooring but again these are 20 watt lamps but the cable that i acn only find hot is the 1.0mm that goes to the suspended track lights could it be a bad neutral do you think ?
The 230v supply loop is adequate between the ingoing side of the transformers but its the outgoing 1mm thats your problem, basic ohms law on this one im afraid 6x20w =120w thus 120w divided by 12v is 10amps then the length of the cable to take into account and at 12v you would be subject to volts drop in a short run hence your hot cable. DEpending on length of run you may require 4mm or 6mm on outgoing side to feed track.

Last edited:

Reply to hot cable in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net