Discuss How can I become city and guild with HNC? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I'm studying electrical and eletronic HNC now then HND later but I want to become an electrician.

I checked a lot of jobs are required City and Guide qualifications.Thus I'm planning to take the city and guide after the HNC and become a full qualified electrician.

Can someone give an insight about stages I have to pass up to become a full electrician and how long it will take?

With HNC qualification still I have to start at the beginning or there are some exemptions?

And any cheaper way to do it? I saw fees to some of training companies are very high and I can't afford it.And due to my age I can't be an apprentice.

SORRY, if I have post this one on the wrong sub forum as it my time here!

HNC first, electrician second. Backwards, but whatever suits you i suppose lol.

For everything, including optional extras you're probably looking about 5years.

City and Guilds 2357 is what you're after i believe. Which encoporates NVQlevel3? (hopefully, someone can clarify that)

Then after you've done that course, whilst working alongside an electrician either as an apprentice or a mate, you can enroll on the 2395 and 2394 inspection and testing courses with the C&G. Having a JIB grading of Electrician or Approved Electrician is what you should be aiming for IMO.

Doubt you'll have any exemptions with a HNC qualification, that's why i said you've done it backwards, could be wrong though. And nope unfortunatley, the courses are priced highly throughout.

HNC first, electrician second. Backwards, but whatever suits you i suppose lol.

For everything, including optional extras you're probably looking about 5years.

City and Guilds 2357 is what you're after i believe. Which encoporates NVQlevel3? (hopefully, someone can clarify that)

Then after you've done that course, whilst working alongside an electrician either as an apprentice or a mate, you can enroll on the 2395 and 2394 inspection and testing courses with the C&G. Having a JIB grading of Electrician or Approved Electrician is what you should be aiming for IMO.

Doubt you'll have any exemptions with a HNC qualification, that's why i said you've done it backwards, could be wrong though. And nope unfortunatley, the courses are priced highly throughout.

Thank you for the insight

As Mark has said it's usually the NVQIII first then the HNC/HND. If you do complete the HNC/HND and the NVQ then you would be graded as a technician providing you have the experience

As Mark has said it's usually the NVQIII first then the HNC/HND. If you do complete the HNC/HND and the NVQ then you would be graded as a technician providing you have the experience

JIB graded technician ?

nope , the JIB dont recognize HNC/D quals as they're not vocational or skills based.
i can confirm this as my BTEC cert was ignored during my first JIB application.

to get jib tech grade these days you need approved electrician + C cert or 2400 or 2396 + experience at supervisor level in the work place.

in rely to the OP , if i had gained a hnd early on in my career , i'd be completely skipping the whole "on the tools electrician" stage.

seems pointless to complete a higher level diploma to then go clipping t&e with 17 year old apprentices.
i suggest a serious rethink of your further education and career goals.

Re: How to become city and guild with HNC?

you'll get alot further on this forum if you dont completely annoyingly post the same question 10minutes apart.
;-)

JIB graded technician ?

nope , the JIB dont recognize HNC/D quals as they're not vocational or skills based.
i can confirm this as my BTEC cert was ignored during my first JIB application.

to get jib tech grade these days you need approved electrician + C cert or 2400 or 2396 + experience at supervisor level in the work place.

in rely to the OP , if i had gained a hnd early on in my career , i'd be completely skipping the whole "on the tools electrician" stage.

seems pointless to complete a higher level diploma to then go clipping t&e with 17 year old apprentices.
i suggest a serious rethink of your further education and career goals.
I stand corrected, I honestly i'd read that on the JIB website, sorry for the inaccurate info

When my first thread didn't appear straight away, I thought I did it wrong till I saw the message on the second one that moderators have to pass them.
I will write to moderators if they can merge them.

I have just checked the SJIB website and it does state that you need an HNC or equivalent to be a technician but you need to have the inspection & testing quals first and have worked as an approved electrician for two years...I thought i'd read it some where Technician Electrician - Scottish Joint Industry Board

if thats what they say , then i accept that and stand corrected ,
however thats not the case in England.

you'll get alot further on this forum if you dont completely annoyingly post the same question 10minutes apart.
;-)

Sorry, My first thread I missed the message that it was waiting for moderator approvai.I thought I did wrong thus I repost it again.
I will contact moderator to merge them.

Last edited:

Reply to How can I become city and guild with HNC? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net