Discuss how to apply power to sunroof motor? in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

nehuge

DIY
Reaction score
Hi there, I have a 1992 Mercedes and what I'm trying to do is take my cordless drill (12v, 18v, whatever) and apply power to the sunroof directly on junkyard cars. I want to run the roof forward and back to remove parts from the various area of the sunroof system.

The connector on the motor has 5 pins (actually 6, but one is not used...it is just blank).

The junkyard doesn't let you bring a car battery, and even if I used theirs to hook up to the junkyard car's battery tray, the cars never have a key available to put it to accessory position anyway. The sunroof motor does have a manual override with a wrench but that override is usually snapped off from prior owners.

A diagram is attached. I have no clue how to read schematics so all I was trying to do was to see if someone can tell me which pins to jumper and/or apply power to make the motor whirr forwards and backwards. I have tried a bunch of combinations of applying positive and negative to the various pins on a spare motor on the bench but some of the combinations make it spark and hate to fry something or weld my hand lol One combination I did was to jumper pin 1 and 4, and apply the power supply positive and negative to pins 3 and 6. That made the motor whirr, and I reversed the polarity and it would whirr the other way. So I decided to try that on my actual car. It made the sunroof tilt up and tilt down, but not run forward and back (the sunroof switch on the car has 4 directions you can move it in....pull down for tilt down, push up for tilt roof up, pull back to slide back roof, and push forward to close roof).

Help would be much appreciated. These cars don't come by often (every 4 years or so it seems) in the junkyards so I'd like to figure this out before they crush these couple cars (they say they only keep each car for about 3 weeks regardless of what is still on the car).

Attachments

• SlidingRoofElecDiag.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 5
nehuge: greeting from London.

To operate the sliding roof M12/2 from a 12Volt battery using the pushbutton switch S13/2 you need to do the following:

(Refer to the diagram you attached)

1. Check if the chassis is positive or negative ground.

2. Unbolt the ground chassis connection W6 which is found at the left rear wheel housing in the trunk.

3. Having found out the answer to (1) attach the positive or negative of your drill battery to the wire W6 or to terminal 6 on M12/2 or terminal 6 on S13/2.

4. Connect the other lead from your drill battery to wire 'a' which goes to terminal 1 on M12/2 or terminal 4 on S13/2.

You will note see that the wire to W6 and the wire a are the two thickest wires.

If you need to operate M12/2 without using S13/2 you need to:

2. Unbolt the ground chassis connection W6 which is found at the left rear wheel housing in the trunk.

3. Having found out the answer to (1) attach the positive or negative of your drill battery to the wire W6 or to terminal 6 on M12/2 or terminal 6 on S13/2.

4. Connect the other lead from your drill battery to wire 'a' which goes to terminal 1 on M12/2 or terminal 4 on S13/2.

5. Connect a temporary jumper between 1 and 3 and 4 on M12/2 to operate in one direction (I cannot say which from the diagram).

6. Connect a temporary jumper between 1 and 4 and 5 to operate in the reverse direction to (5).

Or, if you access to the terminals of S13/2:

1. Apply power as (1) to (4) earlier.

2. Connect a temporary jumper between 2 and 3 and 4 on S13/2 to operate one way.

3. Connect a temporary jumper between 1 and 3 and 4 to reverse direction.

:)

nehuge: greeting from London.

To operate the sliding roof M12/2 from a 12Volt battery using the pushbutton switch S13/2 you need to do the following:

(Refer to the diagram you attached)

You will note see that the wire to W6 and the wire a are the two thickest wires.

If you need to operate M12/2 without using S13/2 you need to:

5. Connect a temporary jumper between 1 and 3 and 4 on M12/2 to operate in one direction (I cannot say which from the diagram).

6. Connect a temporary jumper between 1 and 4 and 5 to operate in the reverse direction to (5).

Or, if you access to the terminals of S13/2:

1. Apply power as (1) to (4) earlier.

2. Connect a temporary jumper between 2 and 3 and 4 on S13/2 to operate one way.

3. Connect a temporary jumper between 1 and 3 and 4 to reverse direction.

:)
WOW Marconi, I will try this. I can't believe how detailed! I will pay this forward. Thanks again!!!!!!!

Reply to how to apply power to sunroof motor? in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net