Discuss How to terminate pillar lights along a driveway? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
My customer wants pillar lights x 4 along his driveway. The lights will be on the grass and all cable will be in trenches on the lawn, no concrete needs to be dug.

Usually with garden lights I will have a junction box next to the light on a wooden stake or suchlike which I can terminate the SWA into. I want to avoid this and just have the lights by themselves.

There will not be enough room at the bottom of the light to fit 2 x SWA into it glanded correctly and weatherproofed.

The 2 options I have thought of are either to use a normal weatherproof junction box and fill it with magic gel and bury it, or.. Use a pratley box and bury it. I have never used a pratley box before, are they solely for SWA or can they have a piece of flex coming out as well (which will go into the pillar light)?4-Way Black Under Ground Box Size 0 - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/PRUBX04.html?source=adwords&ad_position=&ad_id=315107931576&placement=&kw=&network=u&matchtype=&ad_type=&product_id=PRUBX04&product_partition_id=933541607402&campaign=shopping&version=finalurl_v3&gclid=CjwKCAjw5Kv7BRBSEiwAXGDEld6orknS191xHFS2MZ8xw0a70xEb7RUiGBTAXnmLd3VEYRvk8fJxxhoCZ4YQAvD_BwE

Any other options?

Cheers.

Last edited:
Use a three way joint shell and you will have no problem, Use a waterproof flex. I would consider putting the flex in plastic kopex for extra protection.

Or run radials from a central junction box.
Thanks for that. Any chance of a link please? I'm guessing this joint shell takes 2 x SWA and 1 x flex and I can gland the swa properly into it?

TLC electrical part no SW JKT1
You dont gland the SWA you link the armour's with braid and CT springs.
Thanks for that. Any chance of a link please? I'm guessing this joint shell takes 2 x SWA and 1 x flex and I can gland the swa properly into it?

Done this before with driveway lighting, used a regular resin kit with the flex out one end along with the swa, just make sure it's well sealed or your resin will go everywhere! Also massive ball ache if you ever need to do any fault finding as you can't break the circuit down very easily. We had a fitting fault, really hard to identify!

The issue I can see with a resin joint is that f a fitting ever needs replacing because someone backs a car into one, then you end up having to add a junction box anyway. You also can't easily run an extra feed of one in the future if they decide they want a different fitting.

Magic Gel or equivalent in a decent junction box 'feels' better in that case - because at least you can reuse the same junction box.

In terms of fit and forget though, resin joints have the advantage.

So no real advocates of the pratley boxes then?
The issue I can see with a resin joint is that f a fitting ever needs replacing because someone backs a car into one, then you end up having to add a junction box anyway. You also can't easily run an extra feed of one in the future if they decide they want a different fitting.

Magic Gel or equivalent in a decent junction box 'feels' better in that case - because at least you can reuse the same junction box.

In terms of fit and forget though, resin joints have the advantage.
I guess if they knocked into the light or simply wanted to change the fitting you would just reuse the same piece of flex, so no need to dig down to the joint.

I have not used the resin joints before, but I may get one just to have a look at and test it out seeing as though most members seem to rate it.

No mention of the pratley boxes though, has anyone used them located underground?

Many thanks for all the replies.

Reply to How to terminate pillar lights along a driveway? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net