Discuss Hows work load in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

I'm rammed at the moment, been working 7 days mostly for the last month, managed to fit in a game of golf this morning but had to go look at a job after, come back and make up a gate post for a midweek job then go and sort power out at a rewire, trying to get everything out of the way for Xmas........so I can fit all the call outs in! Lol

How you finding things a the minute work wise? Busy? Just ticking over here, lost out on 3 quotes this week for CU changes to the local cheapo doing them for £200 all in. Looking forward to the Xmas break mind you :)

£200 for a cu change is way too low. Where are you based?

I am not suggesting you are stretching the truth, but what sort of jobs are they you have booked in? As in my experience nobody is ever prepared to wait more than a couple of weeks or so for the majority of work.

like I say, I don't doubt you but find it hard to believe that you have electrical work booked in that far in advance.

Once you get outside domestic work it's easy to have things booked in for months ahead.

I pick and choose my jobs, anything that is going to be problematic I walk away from, builders I avoid.

i only do a 4 day week.

I try try to limit my work to nice jobs that I enjoy and are not stressful and I enjoy. I have turned down two fuse box changes last month just because they are going to be a total pig and one of them, all the light fittings are the 12v type on high up ceilings, all the light switches are those flat plate Schneider dimmers plastered into the wall and won't move, plus the board needs moving from the alley to the inside.

i prefer a less stressful life.

i appreciate what your saying, but do you not find that turning down work will lead to loss of potential future work? Also, what about problematic work for existing customers? I guess it's finding a balance.

Annual seasonal work books up alot a January and February every year for us, plus a big re-wire for the new year and a few other people willing to wait for us has got us pretty sorted, we have been getting in more work then we can really cope with all year.

I'm booked up until the end of March 2016. 3 domestic re-wires already and plenty of other domestics, commercial and I&T going on. 2015 has been nuts, too much work when I keep trying to reduce the work. At one point I went 2 months without a day off this year and little holidays :(

£200 for a CU change - they are welcome to it!

I've been booked up for the past 2 months with a mixture of 2 larger jobs and some smaller jobs. After christmas I would think I have about 2 weeks of work and by then someone else will have rung! I think Tom, that (like Dave said) domestic work is a little different to the guys doing commercial/Industrial. I imagine their jobs could take months and months to complete and if they have another booked up then perhaps a year!

I've actually found it pretty stressful being booked up for 2 months as I have had to say 'no' or rather 'I can do it in 2 months' to one or 2 jobs for the first time which just didn't seem right as usually I available more quickly than that. Doing this rewire by myself has been an eye opener!

Reply to Hows work load in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net