Discuss I'm not sure if the Regs allowed separately bare earths. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

You lot have gone barking again.

Halt, reality check.

Sham don't do it!

Unless your a registered charity, and determined to cocoon this install for historical purposes, tell your customer where to shove it. Even the National Trust rewire their properties.

TRS, aluminium sheathed cables, bear earths. You lot are nuts. :eek:

You lot have gone barking again.

Halt, reality check.

Sham don't do it!

Unless your a registered charity, and determined to cocoon this install for historical purposes, tell your customer where to shove it. Even the National Trust rewire their properties.

TRS, aluminium sheathed cables, bear earths. You lot are nuts. :eek:

Why not with bare earths? I can understand rewiring aluminium cables lead sheathed cables and TRS but as long as the PVC cables that are in use in the installation test ok ie good insulation resistance and the earth is actually from the CU and not a water pipe I don’t really see a problem with the bare earths? Is there some sort of requirement to replace a system that still works and is effective? As I said Regs aren’t retrospective so why would you be saying don’t do it? He is going to upgrade the CU and the bonding so I don’t think it’s any different to connecting to Red and Black PVC? It’s old cable and yeah it’s not to current standards but what is the reason to replace it if it tests out ok and the cable is in generally good condition?

Hi - being open, due to my lack of experience with the installation and maintenance of these older systems, I couldn't say with confidence whether the installation satisfied Reg 132.16 or not. So it'd be some level of re-wiring or re-staffing :) .

I have not a clue what that means imperial is complete gibberish to me :fearscream:
i therefore beg to educate you:
12 inches = 1 foot
3 foot =1 yard
1760 yards (5280 feet) =1 mile
22 yards= 1 chain
5.5 yards = 1 pole/rod/perch
4 rods= 1 chain
6 feet = 1 fathom
10 chains = 1 furlong
8 furlongs = 1 mile
4840 sq. yards= 1 acre.

what's hard about that?

firther info:
2 pints = 1 quart
4 quarts = 1 gallon
2 gallons = 1 peck
9 gallons = 1 firkin.

upload_2018-10-18_10-40-2.jpeg

i therefore beg to educate you:
12 inches = 1 foot
3 foot =1 yard
1760 yards (5280 feet) =1 mile
22 yards= 1 chain
5.5 yards = 1 pole/rod/perch
4 rods= 1 chain
6 feet = 1 fathom
10 chains = 1 furlong
8 furlongs = 1 mile
4840 sq. yards= 1 acre.

what's hard about that?
That’s easy enough but what is 7/0.29? And what does that mean in metric also 7/16ths? 3/32nds and so on.

10foot 7inches and 3 wee bits on the tape measure as one guy I used to work with would say:tearsofjoy:

Unless I am misreading it Regulation 543.3.201 would deem those cpcs as no longer adequate so I would not be considering a board replacement unless they were rewired.
Ahh I see. But again regs aren’t retrospective so back to the old argument should it be replaced as you wouldn’t replace a Plastic CU with a metal one just because you extended a lighting circuit and you wouldn’t rewire the lighting circuit in the new colours the old colours don’t comply but that doesn’t necessarily mean that they need replacing.

718EDEFD-8EBE-4C12-982E-2D53475AE787.jpeg

4AAE0B98-80AA-40A7-98EC-5E362718B322.jpeg

Last edited:
That is for you to decide the level of what you feel is still okay to be left in service, me personally I would be suggesting that should be rewired. You also need to consider was it actually compliant at the time of installation or a later ad hoc addition.

Reply to I'm not sure if the Regs allowed separately bare earths. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net