Discuss Insulation Resistance Testing Fluorescent Lights Etc in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
The large domestic garage that I wish to test has a single lighting circuit with 6 fluorescent lamps inside and a floodlight with a PIR. It also has neons on each of the 2 way switches for the internal lighting and a neon on the switch for the outside floodlight with PIR. Any tips on how to go about testing on this circuit would be appreciated (in layman's terms (I'm fresh off a 5 week wonder course)).

link L/N then IR test from these to E. first at 250v.

Thanks for the quick reply Tel. To link L/N do I just disconnect the N and add it to the MCB load side or is their a better way of doing it.
What am I looking out for when I first do the test at 250V. I assume I do it at 500V after doing it at 250. Also how do I record the fact that I have linked the L-N on the certificate (or don't I need to).

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply Tel. To link L/N do I just disconnect the N and add it to the MCB load side or is their a better way of doing it.
What am I looking out for when I first do the test at 250V. I assume I do it at 500V after doing it at 250. Also how do I record the fact that I have linked the L-N on the certificate (or don't I need to).

With the greatest of respect seftonbarn if you are not sure on how to correctly do this test or why telectrix has told you to test between L+N to earth, or what you are looking for while testing than you shouldnt really be doing it.

You made no mention of Inspection on this garage? Presumably you have already done this?

Dichroic

If it's an EICR, you would record the above IR test method under the operational limitations heading, if it is unreasonable to remove the sensitive equipment from the circuit under test.

With the greatest of respect seftonbarn if you are not sure on how to correctly do this test or why telectrix has told you to test between L+N to earth, or what you are looking for while testing than you shouldn't really be doing it.

You made no mention of Inspection on this garage? Presumably you have already done this?

Dichroic
Thanks for the reply Dichroic; I'm just trying to learn. I wasn't asking telectrix why to test between L+N to earth I was asking him what to be looking out for when testing between L+N to earth at 250V before doing the test at 500V. In fact you sound knowledgeable and could probably have answered my question with less text than you used to give me grief about asking the question in the first place. Regarding the inspection of the garage, yes I did do this. In fact I also buit it (it's mine).

If I were you I wouldn't link L+N by using the MCB, I'd take both conductors out of their terminals and link them using a connector block. There's nothing wrong with using the MCB, it's just my own personal preference.

Thanks for the reply Dichroic; I'm just trying to learn. I wasn't asking telectrix why to test between L+N to earth I was asking him what to be looking out for when testing between L+N to earth at 250V before doing the test at 500V. In fact you sound knowledgeable and could probably have answered my question with less text than you used to give me grief about asking the question in the first place. Regarding the inspection of the garage, yes I did do this. In fact I also buit it (it's mine).

I wasn't trying to give you grief seftonbarn, i realise we all have to learn and fair play to you for having a go. My concern was that if you were unsure of the test procedures that perhaps you might ask somebody to do the test for you on this occasion so that you might see it being performed which would make things clearer for you.

My occupation is to teach and train apprentices from when they leave school to when they complete their NVQ Level 3 and beyond through 2391 etc. I have the greatest of respect for people wanting to learn skills in the electrotechnical industry.

My Apologies

Dichroic

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn't trying to give you grief seftonbarn, i realise we all have to learn and fair play to you for having a go. My concern was that if you were unsure of the test procedures that perhaps you might ask somebody to do the test for you on this occasion so that you might see it being performed which would make things clearer for you.

My occupation is to teach and train apprentices from when they leave school to when they complete their NVQ Level 3 and beyond through 2391 etc. I have the greatest of respect for people wanting to learn skills in the electrotechnical industry.

My Apologies

Dichroic

No problems Dichroic. Thanks for explaining yourself. My job is fixing helciopters. I've been doing it for 32 years in the Royal Navy but they are kicking me out to grass so I have to find a new trade. I'm doing my best.

Three points here

1/ I would recommend, as already stated, that you link out L/N in a connector block after disconnecting both from the supply. Its easy to forget when switched back on!

2/ Where you expect some problems with electronic equipment then test at 250V, as stated in BS7671 612.3.2.

3/ Complete L/E box and put L/N as N/T (not tested) and make a note as a limitation, as Lenny has stated

Particularly for insulation resistance testing, where a small amount of contact resistance is of no importance, the Kewtech "jump leads" or something similar home made are quick and easy for joining L & N. That said, I use them for general continuity testing work as well with no problem.
Kewtech Jump Leads - JUMPLD1

Guys, guys. It's OK.

Richard is quite right to point out that, with the questions I posed, I could not be deemed competent to do a periodic inspection. Richard wasn't to know that I was doing the inspection/testing on my own garage purely to gain experience and that I was proceeding carefully one step at a time using this forum for guidance whenever I had any element of doubt. I have done a 5 week course which included Part P, 17th Edition and 2392. I then went on to do a one week 2391 course and took the exam a couple or 3 Fridays ago. Whilst I quietly confident that I passed the 2391 exam I acknowledge that there is more to competence than passing exams. Experience is one thing for sure, which is why I respect Richards posting. But knowing your limits is another; which is why I stopped what I was doing and posted the question in the first place. I am happy with all the responses to my posting; including Dischroic's.

Last edited:
The large domestic garage that I wish to test has a single lighting circuit with 6 fluorescent lamps inside and a floodlight with a PIR. It also has neons on each of the 2 way switches for the internal lighting and a neon on the switch for the outside floodlight with PIR. Any tips on how to go about testing on this circuit would be appreciated (in layman's terms (I'm fresh off a 5 week wonder course)).

Hi seftonbarn,

From reading your posts in this thread, you are obviously keen to learn, and it sounds like you may well benefit from some visual lessons. When I started out, I had the same question regarding IR tests on existing installations. GN3 explains the procedure, but didn't make it clear to me. Have you heard of 'Learning Lounge'? It contains really useful video lessons, and they have a pretty good one on IR testing that demonstrates linking line and neutral at the board.

Hope that helps, and I wish you the best of success with your career change.

i want to thanks avery one in this site,i learnt so much of this site with out this site and Telectrix help i dont think i have done it,im NICEIC BEEN WITH them over 12months.thanks again

Reply to Insulation Resistance Testing Fluorescent Lights Etc in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net