Discuss Intermediate switch first in 3 way? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Capra

-
Reaction score
So.. we've dropped a clanger.

3 way switching for large Hallway.
Switch wire drops to 1 gang switch(2way), then 3-core to 4-gang switch, then 3-core to 1-gang(2way). This means our 2nd switch isn't an intermediate - but a 2-way.
(Not aware of anyone who makes a 4-gang switch with an intermediate module - which would sort this straight away)

Just wondering if anyone has an ideas of how we can get this to function - other than removing a module from an intermediate and getting it to work in our 4-gang.

Is there any method in which the intermediate switch can used as the first switch in the group? I can't think of one... but i know there's some clever folks on here.........

Never knew there was a place you could build your own light switch..... where's the world heading!

Grid is looking like the obvious fix.... maybe she won't notice.... ;)

Never knew there was a place you could build your own light switch..... where's the world heading!

Grid is looking like the obvious fix.... maybe she won't notice.... ;)
If you use the click mode range that's been referred to a few times throughout the thread then they look like normal switch plates as they dont have yokes etc. If you went and brought a 4gang click mode switch....the switch is a 4module aperture plate with 4 module switches.

I wanted to keep the plates the same, as the customer hoped. Hence the the original post asking if anyone had any method of using 3-way switching with the inter switch first. I didn't think it was possible - but things are always worth asking about.
Other option was to take a intermediate module out of a 1 gang intermediate switch, from the same range as the 4 gang - and fit it in the 4 gang. It's doesn't just "fit" - as i've looked. Then again - it's not a modular system that's designed to be swapped - so I wouldn't expect it to.

In fairness.. the customer might not even have said out if I'd just used a grid.. but when I told her about our cock up, I got "oooh i really want them all exactly the same" So I thought I'd look at options to appease. You know how it is.

I've never used click mode before - only MK.

He has taken the two 3 core & E 's to the 4G switch and realised that a 4 G switch only contains 2-way switches and didn't know about interchangeable switches eg Click.

You can swap the modules out on Hager switches. 1, 2 & 4 gang switches all have individual modules and any could be swapped for intermediate ones.

You can swap the modules out on Hager switches. 1, 2 & 4 gang switches all have individual modules and any could be swapped for intermediate ones.
You can do it with most brands (MK iirc is one that you can't). The difference with Click is you can buy the individual modules, rather than having to buy switches to dismantle.

Reply to Intermediate switch first in 3 way? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net