Discuss Is it possible to sit C&G exams without doing courses? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
For example, in the UK i know you can eg do an A Level at home (if for example you're homeschooled) and then simply sit the exam at a recognised examination centre, paying a small fee.

Is this possible with the C&G?

For example, in the UK i know you can eg do an A Level at home (if for example you're homeschooled) and then simply sit the exam at a recognised examination centre, paying a small fee.

Technically yes, it is whether you can find a center that will allow you to do that. I know there were people at the tech college I went to, who were allowed to just turn up for exams as they had been working in the industry for years with no qualifications, they then had to attend the level 3 classes though. I believe they spoke to the lecturers at college to be allowed to do this.

Thanks for the reply Derek. I am considering the self-study option if it's possible. I have little experience in electric and zero experience of UK electrics so it's probably not an option for me.

I could definitely self-study the theory but i'm sure there are practical requirements?

No you cant, as much of the criteria with in the level 2 and level 3 require practical class assessments where your tutor assesses you, even with these home study courses the training centres throw out will require you to do a certain amount of weeks at their training centre.
I recommend enrolling in your local college on a part-time course

For anyone else that's interested, you can actually self-study as a distance option for the levels 2 and 3 as JAWS says, with practical assignments to be completed at the test centre.

It actually works out cheaper than just outright paying for the in-centre course.

For anyone else that's interested, you can actually self-study as a distance option for the levels 2 and 3 as JAWS says, with practical assignments to be completed at the test centre.

It actually works out cheaper than just outright paying for the in-centre course.

Not quite how I put it, Yes you can do a home study course but you dont just turn up and do your practical assessments, you will have to be taught the practical's at the training centres for a number of weeks to get you ready for your practical assessments & exams.

And of course its cheaper for obvious reasons, your training hrs is nowhere near as you'd receive from doing it at college.

On our level 2 it was 2 days a week one day theory one day practical usually a Saturday the course was 1 year for the level 2 and 18 months for the level 3.

Until you sit down and see what's required you wont realise how much you have to do and what you have to learn its relentless especially the level 3.

Not quite how I put it, Yes you can do a home study course but you dont just turn up and do your practical assessments, you will have to be taught the practical's at the training centres for a number of weeks to get you ready for your practical assessments & exams.

And of course its cheaper for obvious reasons, your training hrs is nowhere near as you'd receive from doing it at college.

On our level 2 it was 2 days a week one day theory one day practical usually a Saturday the course was 1 year for the level 2 and 18 months for the level 3.

Until you sit down and see what's required you wont realise how much you have to do and what you have to learn its relentless especially the level 3.
The hours for the practical are the same, you just do the theory at home beforehand, taking however long you want before booking the practical. You get access to a private tutor the whole time to guide you through anything you don't know, so in effect it's not much different from doing it in person.

The actual duration of your course will have been longer but the training providers offer the same amount of hours, it's just condensed.

Lot of info to take in i agree, but nothing easy is worth doing.

Reply to Is it possible to sit C&G exams without doing courses? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net