Discuss Is there any point testing earth loop impedance in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

incorrect an MCB is an overload device and will operate you can have a maximum value of 200 ohms with an earth spike and the installation has to be protected by an RCD so any earth leakage above 30 ma will cause the RCD to trip ,

Last edited by a moderator:
In a tt system? The earth spike is Reading greater than 50 ohms so clearly the mcbs won't make their rated disconnection times. Waste of time?

not very familiar with tt systems but obviously the loop-impedance is way too high for any automatic disconnection of earth faults by mcbs

so rcds will be required

In a TT, short circuit protection is by the mcbs
They cant fullfill disconnection times with the higher rod reading for earth faults ,so an rcd does the job
The loop impedence test passes a high current through the earth path to determine a sound low enough reading to operate that rcd,without the test,we cant be sure of the reading or the earth integrity

We could forget the loop impedence test and measure the rod the proper way though

how do we measure the earth rod and which method?

The full method is to use a three terminal earth rod tester with two temporary spikes, a current spike and a potential spike. You place the current spike at least ten times the length of the rod away (so for an 8ft coupled rod that's roughly 30m away) and take three measurements, one with the potential spike halfway between the rod and the current spike, another 10% of the distance away from the current spike towards the rod and then a final measurement 10% of the distance away from the rod towards the current spike. The tester then gives you an average value of the three readings taken.

Most of us however will just use our MFT to obtain an Ra value using the loop setting.

When using the spike method on an existing installation, how are you meant to know how long the rod is without pulling it out of the ground and probably ruining what could have been a good reading?

Yes, as Archy said, look at the install cert, in larger installations the information will definitely be there.

If it's a smaller install and no cert then if it's a twig then it's a four footer, if it's a 5/8" then assume it's a coupled eight footer.

I wouldn't ever go shorter than 30m for the current spike, and normally it would be 50m for small commercial/domestic installations where possible!!
You can also use a dedicated Earth Tester in place of a loop tester at the service cut -out MET, using two leads!!

Reply to Is there any point testing earth loop impedance in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net