Discuss Is there anything that can monitor lighting circuit outages? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DanP

Hi,

Background:
In my small block of 3 flats, the communal lighting is powered through a circuit connected to the middle floor flat (the building is old and we are in the process of changing this but need to save up the funds from service charge). The power is supplied for three pendant lights on energy saving bulbs and a contract has been signed for this flat owner to keep the power on in exchange for receiving £10 a month to more than cover the electricity costs. The problem is, this flat owner is now flicking that fuse off when it suits her as it is apparent that she is untrustworthy and uses it as a tool to put people in darkness when it suits her to get a kick out of it. It comes on when she uses the hallway, but switches off when she hears others using it when you are half way up the stairs.

Issue:
The issue is, we are struggling to prove that the power is being cut off, as the circuit board is in her flat, and when a professional comes out, she turns it back on again (she doesn't work and is at home a lot). The professionals twice have said that everything seems to be working fine. This causes a serious problem because it leaves people in darkness causing a health and safety risk using the stairs, but we are struggling to prove it.

Solution?
I know the best solution is to install a new circuit so that control for this is taken away from this flat owner, however money is a bit of an issue in the first instance so we are saving like mad to do this. I was wondering, does anyone know if there is a device or anything that could be attached to the lighting circuit that could monitor the outages? I know there is something you can buy if it were to plug in the mains, but this would be the lighting circuit. Otherwise, any other ideas?

You help is much appreciated.

Dan

Welcome to the forum DanP :)

A short term solution would be a data logger installed in secret it will show all on and off times and usually can be downloaded to pc to give a printable graph to aid your proof.

Last edited:
Hi Darkwood,

Thanks! That was quick. I've just had quick look online. Would one that tracks current be better if we are looking to track when she turns the power off, or do you mean the one that tracks light coming on or off. I'm just thinking that the lights work by normal light switch so with the latter she could argue that that its a case of no-one turning the lights on rather than being cut off.

Cheers
Dan

Hi Darkwood,

Thanks! That was quick. I've just had quick look online. Would one that tracks current be better if we are looking to track when she turns the power off, or do you mean the one that tracks light coming on or off. I'm just thinking that the lights work by normal light switch so with the latter she could argue that that its a case of no-one turning the lights on rather than being cut off.

Cheers
Dan

Hi yes Tel's is the quick cheap option and would ensure she cannot do it again but I'm a 'catch and confront' type guy ...then evict her ;), you would have a voltage monitor on the lighting supply not the switch wire and it would only show when the mcb is on or off in a time/voltage graph but you would need to do a bit of searching for a budget device.

And when she turns her own bathroom light on at 2am and the lamp pops the mcb ... ???? a building full of angry people :evil2:

There's no mention of switching.
If it was a shared circuit a lockable MCB wouldn't be any good, as she wouldn't be able to reset it in the above circumstances

I didn't expect the O.P to actually do this, it would be just as cheap to move the supply to another flat

It's already cost 2 professional visits, the next visit would pay for itself if the supply is moved and the agreement given to another flat occupant.

Use a battery powered sounder, mounted nearby but out of reach of the relevant flat, held off from operating (n/c contact) by a relay powered from the nearest light.

Every time she turns the power off the sounder will sound.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TSSB1.html?source=adwords&kw=&gclid=CNiuh8KrusgCFeoJwwod2JkI0w

I like your thinking! From the flat above, you could lift the floorboards up. A bit of tinkering using a relay and a L.V. power supply and “le voilà”, the fire alarm bell in her flat would be connected to the communal lighting. It could all be done without her knowing about it. I wonder how long it would be before she packed her nonsense in…lol.

Why not replace the lights with maintained emergency fittings instead??

Surely that's got to be the easiest and best answer to stop her getting satisfaction playing her games and is also the safest option for everyone else

Reply to Is there anything that can monitor lighting circuit outages? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net