Discuss Island extractor hood in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have an island cooker hood to wire in new extension. It is a giant pendant light and extractor fan combined. Can this be wired straight into the lighting circuit like a bathroom extractor? It’s a German model with a 3A plug attached. Website says it has 165W of power. The extractor is a Klarstein Tron Ambience.

Attached is a picture of the info. It’s not much to go on I’m afraid.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    354.3 KB · Views: 11
Attached is a picture of the info. It’s not much to go on I’m afraid.
Yes it can, all you need to ensure is that if the hob is electric then it needs to have a clearance of at least 650mm if it’s gas then 750mm I’m assuming it’s the pendant type like you said with the control buttons attached they are potchy to assemble so be prepared lol

As its not a light (albeit incorporating lights) to comply with Reg 524 (Table 52.3), the circuit should be 1.5sqmm. So if the existing lighting circuit is 1.5 then would be ok and can probably increase mcb from 6 to 10A if total load exceeds 6A.
Personally, I'd prefer to put on a S/FCU from RFC.

As its not a light (albeit incorporating lights) to comply with Reg 524 (Table 52.3), the circuit should be 1.5sqmm. So if the existing lighting circuit is 1.5 then would be ok and can probably increase mcb from 6 to 10A if total load exceeds 6A.
Personally, I'd prefer to put on a S/FCU from RFC.
It comes with a sealed 3A fused plug that’s surely enough to suggest it can come off a lighting circuit. The main issue here is the ensuring that the extractor hood is fitted correctly and they can be potchy. Certainly no 5 minute job lol

Central heating pumps are rated less than that but you wouldn't put that on a lighting circuit ...... would you?
Heating systems are different ain’t they? You don’t get a motorised valve with a 3 pin plug on there do you? Or a pump for that matter? Or a cylinder stat? Completely different so don’t understand your point sorry

Heating systems are different ain’t they? You don’t get a motorised valve with a 3 pin plug on there do you? Or a pump for that matter? Or a cylinder stat? Completely different so don’t understand your point
At 3a I would be putting it on with the lighting circuit personally
Yes but I would try to put a heating system on it’s own circuit not always possible so many permutations but I’m talking about system boilers combi boilers are straight forward and can operate via lighting circuit with fused spur

As its not a light (albeit incorporating lights) to comply with Reg 524 (Table 52.3), the circuit should be 1.5sqmm.
This will be fine on 1.0mm². Table 52.3 says:

Lighting circuits - copper - 1.0mm² (see note 4)
NOTE 4: For lighting circuits and associated small items of current-using equipment, such as a bathroom extractor fan.

It comes with a sealed 3A fused plug that’s surely enough to suggest it can come off a lighting circuit. The main issue here is the ensuring that the extractor hood is fitted correctly and they can be potchy. Certainly no 5 minute job lol
one assumes that the alien spaceship is cloaked.

Lighting circuits - copper - 1.0mm² (see note 4)
NOTE 4: For lighting circuits and associated small items of current-using equipment, such as a bathroom extractor fan.
Oops! I should have read Note 4!

It will presumably still need an isolating switch though as per bathroom extract fans?

No different to a bathroom fan. You may have to fuse down to three amps via and SFCU which would also act as a point of isolation, I find one hanging at the end of a cable with a bit of copper showing looks nice...

Reply to Island extractor hood in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net