Discuss Issuing new Instal certs in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

335-pilot

Hi,

Im newly qualified and have got myself a job with local builders. I am charging a daily rate and they provide al materials and tools, (although I use my own).
My question is, upon completion I will be testing with my gear and issuing a certificate.
I will be paid at the daily rate, should I charge more or charge for a certificate? They are very fair and
good to work with I dont want to be greedy, but at the same time dont want to be a mug.
Cheers

If your charging a day rate then your certification will be included in that rate surely.

So if it takes 4 hours to physically do the job and an hour to test and certificate then that job takes 5 hrs. Unfortunately a lot of sole traders use their mark up on materials for doing miscellaneous tasks like going to wholesalers, paperwork etc, which you can't do.

Your going to have to either include the hour/s that the paperwork is done on your hours for the job, swallow it, or come to some arrangement with the builder

I agree with Malcolm, plus the fact that you cant really avoid doing the certificates - you have to do them and if they think that you are taking the pee by adding bits onto the price they may look else where and you lose the work you seem to enjoy doing. Realistically, like Malcolm says, this should form part of your daily or hourly rate. You will be carrying out the testing at the site as part of your work and hours there so just tell the builder that you need the apprpriate time off to do the paper work for the jobs at home. i am sure he will give you a flier every now and again to do the job properly

you could ask him for a sensible fee on top of the hours for the use of your test gear, to cover calibration, time at home for paperwork,batteries,etc. just don't be greedy if you have a good working relationship.

Thanks chaps, thats what I thought but I hate the thought of either being taken for a mug or undercutting.
Just gotta decide on a meter now.

Reply to Issuing new Instal certs in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net