Discuss I've been seeing on social media the past few weeks that there have been a few attempted break-ins to people's property. Does anyone recommend a CCTV? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

I've been seeing on social media the past few weeks that there have been a few attempted break-ins to people's property. Does anyone recommend a certain type of CCTV?

Aico 3000
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

SparkyChick

Mod
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I tend to supply and fit the Hikvision 7600 series digital video recorders and their IP cameras or the IP cameras from Pyronix (which are a Hikvision company). Free access to your system on a phone/tablet app so you can check in wherever you are.

DPG

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
Some of the cheaper ones are good, but it can be a lottery. If you want a known good system them as per the post above.

My cctv DVR is a cheap brand one but works really well. It's paired with decent cameras though.

If you use power over ethernet cameras then you only need one cable to each camera and it avoids having separate power supplies. I would recommend this route.

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
The hikvision colourvu (did I get that right?) offers colour images at night rather than the black and white you get from infra red illumination.
I think Swann do a similar thing on the diy budget end.

Reaction score
Thanks, guys that makes sense! Thinking about getting an electrician to do it professionally. Do you think it's worth it?

DPG

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
Thanks, guys that makes sense! Thinking about getting an electrician to do it professionally. Do you think it's worth it?

Depends how comfortable you feel doing it. The basic systems are pretty easy to install. Half the hassle will be getting cables routed to the cameras. Also bear in mind you will probably need an ethernet cable to the recorder.

pc1966

Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Definitely go for PoE cameras if you can: one cable to the cameras and reasonably easy to do.

If you are good at DIY it should be simple, but equally if you want it done professionally then various folk will advise and install/commission for you.

For any outdoor cameras you should get UV-resistant network cables, or run them in some trunking/conduit to keep the sun off them otherwise you will be looking at a replacement cable in a couple of years which is a pointless and avoidable cost if considered up-front.

Reply to I've been seeing on social media the past few weeks that there have been a few attempted break-ins to people's property. Does anyone recommend a CCTV? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net