Discuss Kidde slick wireless smoke detectors in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

Captain Beeb

Hello all,
Sorry for jumping in out of nowhere, I do plan to use the forum a bit more in the future as I don't want to just "take" knowledge without giving.

I have a question about radio linking Kidde slick wireless basses.

I installed 8 additional detectors in a B & B which already had 3 Kidde slick wireless detectors (I would have used Aico if they weren't already there!)

It took a bit of work getting them all to see each other but eventually they were all house coded and we tested them all. They all worked.

A week later I get a phone call from the customer saying he's tested them and they aren't linked. I'm pretty sure he is doing it right and I can't think what could be wrong.

Any ideas guys?

Thanks,
Capt. B

First thing i would be asking is why you have installed domestic part 6 detection, in a commercial B & B....and whos signed the certification for this...?

First thing i would be asking is why you have installed domestic part 6 detection, in a commercial B & B....and whos signed the certification for this...?

It's what the fire officer asked for apparently. I've come across this particular one a few times before and he seems to like Category D.

The problem is your name is on the certificate, if anything hits the fan, its you who will be liable...As a B&B this comes under the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005, and as such requires a full BS5839 Part 1 monitored fire alarm system. Fire officers tend to be retired fire men, good for putting out fires.....suggest you get written confirmation from LA that they are satisfied with a part 6 grade D installation, to cover yourself.

The problem is your name is on the certificate, if anything hits the fan, its you who will be liable...As a B&B this comes under the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005, and as such requires a full BS5839 Part 1 monitored fire alarm system. Fire officers tend to be retired fire men, good for putting out fires.....suggest you get written confirmation from LA that they are satisfied with a part 6 grade D installation, to cover yourself.

make sure it has proof of delivery/signed for so you know they have recieved it

That's good advice Tazz, I'll do that tomorrow thanks.

Someone told me it's possible to be sent to prison nowadays if you end up getting the blame for people dying in a fire, even if you were just following the customers instructions.

I don't fancy that!

Its very easy as a spark to be lead into these positions...usually when the client has been quoted a higher price from a fire alarm company. But hope this will prevent you being used as an escape goat. If the outcome from the LA is grade D...then suggest you dont issue design certificate, stating its not your design and on installation and commissioning certs, state "installed as to specification issued by Named Local Authority" with any reference number given. Hope this has helped

Its very easy as a spark to be lead into these positions...usually when the client has been quoted a higher price from a fire alarm company. But hope this will prevent you being used as an escape goat. If the outcome from the LA is grade D...then suggest you dont issue design certificate, stating its not your design and on installation and commissioning certs, state "installed as to specification issued by Named Local Authority" with any reference number given. Hope this has helped

Cheers Tazz,
I think I'll be ripping the bloody things out if I can't get them to communicate!

No need for any certification then but I take your point if I can get them working.

Reply to Kidde slick wireless smoke detectors in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net