Discuss Kitchen Appliances Single FCU to Multiple Appliances in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have the walls open (removing tiles from dot and dab walls fml...)

Can i connect a single FCU 13a to both my integrated Fridge Freezer and Microwave? or would i need to have two seperate FCUs for this? or would i need a 20a DP Switch? wiring inplace is part of the ring main.

Microwave is 1kw max and Fridge Freezer im trying to find out as i cant seem to find it online... (beko bcfd350)

I dont mind for maintenance if one needs servicing both get switched off. I have seen forums where it seems its just personal preference to run separate so would be great to know the regs of it.

I am just trying to downsize the number of sockets we have in the kitchen as it was cluttered with 7 fcus within a 3 meter distance!

Thanks!

The regs only stipulate that a FUSED connection unit can supply any number of points, whereas an UNFUSED connection (ie double pole switch) can only supply one point. “One point” can mean a double socket however.

We call them fused or unfused spurs off the rfc.

So, yes you can have one fused or unfused switch supplying a double socket with a fridge freezer and a microwave.

A lot of kitchens now have a bank of module built grid switches, with double pole switches in it… can have up to 4 switches, usually engraved with the appliance name, taking up a regular 2 gang box.

Looks neat, but an absolute chore to work on with 6 x 2.5 cables. (2 from the rfc and 4 outgoing)

Looks neat, but an absolute chore to work on with 6 x 2.5 cables.

and a pain in the arse when the 20a? switches burn out when carrying only 50% of their rating.

I remember when kitchens were designed for a purpose rather than what the sockets looked like. Will it really make a big difference to your life to have one less FCU on your kitchen wall?

Looks neat, but an absolute chore to work on with 6 x 2.5 cables.
The regs only stipulate that a FUSED connection unit can supply any number of points, whereas an UNFUSED connection (ie double pole switch) can only supply one point. “One point” can mean a double socket however.

We call them fused or unfused spurs off the rfc.

So, yes you can have one fused or unfused switch supplying a double socket with a fridge freezer and a microwave.

A lot of kitchens now have a bank of module built grid switches, with double pole switches in it… can have up to 4 switches, usually engraved with the appliance name, taking up a regular 2 gang box.

Looks neat, but an absolute chore to work on with 6 x 2.5 cables. (2 from the rfc and 4 outgoing)
yes i have seen that but arent they 20a rated? is that fine to be on the ring?

i did see that last night actually i was thinking a double grid by Schneider lisse with the marked labels

GGBL02GBSB - Plate​

GGBL20DPMWW - example switch marked with microwave

You could use a FCU to feed two hidden sockets for the appliances, but obviously the combined load has to be under 13A and it also makes a fault/maintenance period on one a problem for both.

The grid switches are neat but some folks have seen reliability issues and you do need a deep back box and patience to wire them up as it can be cramped. They should be 20A rated but I would only put a single 13A fused load on each.

Reply to Kitchen Appliances Single FCU to Multiple Appliances in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net