Discuss Kitchen sockets in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Am redoing the kitchen and need some of the sockets moving plus there are far to many. Th redundant ones am unsure how to handle them. Would it be okay to remove them replace with a
connection box and bury under the plaster or, more easily, just replace with new faceplates knowing they will never be used.
Also am I correct in the fact there needs to be no Part P comliance as there will be no new circuits installed just aletrations to the kitchen ring?

Don’t bury them in plaster mate that can cause havoc!......easiest option as you say replace with new faceplates...you could drop some sockets out of the (presumed) RFC but you’d need a spark really to make sure it is a ring and it is still a ring on completion, no part p but a spark will probably give you a minor works certificate

No requirement to notify the work but all electrical alterations should be undertaken by a competent person and comply with the wiring regulations. This includes testing and certification.
Your safety might be at risk and your house insurance void if you DIY it.

Reactions: DPG
Now another question for you guys. Assume you were going to replace a single socket by a twin socket in a block/rendered wall and the single back box is sunk into the block so that there is a 10mm gap between the backbox front edge and the finished surface of the render. Would you sink the double back box to the depth of the original single of move the new back box more to the surface? I am asking ,as per attached photo which shows an example, because I have repositioned some switches and sockets and wonder if I need to make good the gaps between the back boxes and the walls, and move them forward or do I just leave that to the plasterer. The whole wall is going to get a complete skim.a.jpg

Hi - the metal back boxes come in 25mm, 35mm and 47mm. I’d pick one that best matches the hole depth. If the box is already recessed 10mm and Mr Plasterer adds a further 10mm to the wall then it all might get a bit hard to manage (length of screws, crumbly edges etc). Also, if the hole is tooo deep its likely to weaken the remaining back wall of the block when you try to screw into it. In which case I’d be adding cement mix.

Made the decision to backfill the holes. All the boxes are now lying just below the surface of the current render/skim. So when he puts a new skim on should be okay.
Thanks for the replies guys.

Reply to Kitchen sockets in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net