Discuss ladder straps in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

The Finch

can anyone recomend anywhere to get some decent straps to fasten ladders to roof of van, im currently using the standard ladder clamps but its a pain when i try get in car parks and also clamps have rusted

also any tips or tricks to stop the dam things howling :rolleyes:

I use ratchet tie-downs, you know, the bright orange ribbon things. About 1.50 each from a lot of discount style stores, and there's no shifting them once done up tight. Also use a padlock and chain for obvious reasons.....

I use ratchet tie-downs, you know, the bright orange ribbon things. About 1.50 each from a lot of discount style stores, and there's no shifting them once done up tight. Also use a padlock and chain for obvious reasons.....

cheers that was the idea of thinking rather than the clamps, i have noticed alot of the bt guys now have padlock and chain or bike lock on the ladders now to stop light fingered sods borrowing them and forgetting to return, luckily my steps fit inside the van if i had my choice wouldnt have the triples on wind noise is bad im going to end up blowing speakers in van i turn radio up that loud

How do you position your ladders on the van. Are they central or evenly spaced on one side?
Do you have the little upstands that you push ladders against (sideways)?

Perhaps you could post a photo?

its a transit connect with one of those big steel roof racks bolted on top, think its a sdv rack or something like, has a roller on one side, ladders are positioned on the left hand side and yes there are some upstands, i will post a photo shortly

Ooh tell me about it, I've gotten used to the ghostly whistle now but anyone else who gets a lift tends to get a bit worried about the screaming coming from the 10m triple, set of steps and 3m pipe on there. But back to the point, yep the ratchet straps are fine, though you'll want to change them every 9 months or so cos weathering and repeatedly getting them on and off causes them to get quite weak after this time.

so basically rocker in your last sentence you removed all element of blame that you may incur when members ladders become airborne and start an assault against unwitting drivers out for a Sunday stroll..

:) nice..!

Exactomondo! Mine did actually come off once when going round a corner at speed, but that was because I wasn't paying attention when doing the straps up (girls).

I love my new pipe sticking out of the middle of the roof, makes me feel like I'm driving a tank!

Pipe rack my arse, I'm a cheapskate, it's a waste pipe with a socket plug on the front and an access cap on the back! 3 and a bit meters, works a treat!

Hi. At the discretion of the forum moderator, I'd like to respond in a constructive manner to concerns raised in this thread about the "SafeClamp" product. As an engineer from the Rhino Products Technical Team, I can offer informed advice and technical support on product issues such as this (if that would be helpful?).

Do you know what the specific complaint with the SafeClamp is? A small number of early SafeClamp models had issues with the red cam release button being difficult to operate. We are aware of this, and have since corrected the source of the problem. Any products still causing issues can be uplifted (at Rhino's expense) and either repaired or replaced free of charge, on a next day delivery service. We take quality concerns very seriously indeed, and the satisfaction of our customers is paramount. We have sold thousands of these clamps and have had very positive feedback.

Hi, yeah that was the problem with mine, when they are in place, its a nightmare trying to press the red button in to release them. I couldnt find the receipt for mine so couldnt take them back as i had wanted a refund.
They are gathering dust in the garage so any repair or replacement would be ideal

Hi, yeah that was the problem with mine, when they are in place, its a nightmare trying to press the red button in to release them. I couldnt find the receipt for mine so couldnt take them back as i had wanted a refund.
They are gathering dust in the garage so any repair or replacement would be ideal

Hi Short Circuit
Thanks for your reply. Please contact Rhino Products direct on 01244 833790 and mention this forum. We can then arrange to have them picked up, repaired and sent straight back to you. Happy to help.

Yea that was what happened to mine, I couldnt do the button and it was rubbish. But I um I had to put them in my........ attic and then a dog ran off with them? That was what happened. All that stuff about me using ratchet straps is merely conjecture and wouldn't stand up in a court of law.

So.... where can I get my free ones I MEAN REPLACEMENTS?

Reply to ladder straps in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net