Discuss Ligh switch to operate a plug socket ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jfk3000

Hi

I can looking to run a spur of a socket to a double socket to pug in my outdoor deck lights, however the two plugs for these are quite bulky I don't want them visible so was planning hide the socket under the kitchen cupboard but operate them trough a standard two gang light switch.

ie spur off a current socket, then fuse down to 3amp, then into a new light switch, then to new spur double socket which is kept permanently on, can this be done ?

Many thanks
John

Welcome to the forum :)

I will ask Admin' to assign you with a DIY tag to ensure members tailor there answers according to your level and knowledge of electrics.

What about feeding the socket via a switched FCU. The light switch feeding a 13A socket is far from ideal. Daz

A 20A light switch would be acceptable.
From what I gather, it would only be the outside lighting which would be outside.
I am assuming due to the bulky plugs, that the lighting is elv?
As such RCD protection would not be a requirement.

Go with something like lightwave for the socket , then just have one lightwave switch to turn it on or off, the switches work of a battery and I've just paid with the socket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi the spur would be coming of the ring main which is RCD protected. the outside lights are low Volt led's. slight ament to original design, the reason why I needed the two gang light switch was I wanted to operate the two plugs separately but now realise I will need to use two single sockets rather than one double so they can be operated independently using the double light switch.

For you as a diyer the best Way to go would be a lightwave 13 amp socket, you then get one of there RF switches pair it to the socket then sick it to the wall wherever you want it, it can be sent up to turn one side on or both sides on or one side off or both sides off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It can be done, yes - the socket could be fed from a contactor controlled by the lighting circuit, or you could fuse down a control circuit so everything is isolated from a single point.
Maybe a bit long winded but there doesn't seem to be a neat way of installing these plug-in light kits short of using a separate driver - personally I don't like them.

Remember any electrical work done in a domestic kitchen would be subject to part P.

It can be done, yes - the socket could be fed from a contactor controlled by the lighting circuit, or you could fuse down a control circuit so everything is isolated from a single point.
Maybe a bit long winded but there doesn't seem to be a neat way of installing these plug-in light kits short of using a separate driver - personally I don't like them.

Remember any electrical work done in a domestic kitchen would be subject to part P.
Would it? I have had a couple of home brews now but I think kitchens are not special locations now dude.....Will stand corrected though:)

Reply to Ligh switch to operate a plug socket ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net