Discuss Lighting circuits and having multiple legs of of a ceiling rose in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have two questions regarding lighting circuits. The first in is , is it bad practice to put two lighting circuits on on breaker?

The second is similar but can you ‘spur’ of a ceiling rose which is mid run of the circuit as many times as you want considering VD and maximum current draw/Zs?

Thanks guys

what Is the reason you ask? Is this something that has happened in your installation? Or do you want to do this?

I personally would avoid two circuits going into one, but it can happen be done within curtain conditions.

spur multiple lights from a centre ceiling rose. Again you can to a curtain extend within reason, but there are easier ways.

more information would be good.

I have two questions regarding lighting circuits. The first in is , is it bad practice to put two lighting circuits on on breaker? this would make the 2 circuits into 1. not usually a problem.

The second is similar but can you ‘spur’ of a ceiling rose which is mid run of the circuit as many times as you want considering VD and maximum current draw/Zs?
as it's a radial circuit, you can branch off any fitting, bearing in mind the capacity of the terminals to take an extra cable. and as you say, load current and loop impedance should be calculated.

what Is the reason you ask? Is this something that has happened in your installation? Or do you want to do this?

I personally would avoid two circuits going into one, but it can happen be done within curtain conditions.

spur multiple lights from a centre ceiling rose. Again you can to a curtain extend within reason, but there are easier ways.

more information would be good.
There’s actually 2 reason one is my CU at home is full and need to add in a circuit but they have split downstairs into 3 different lighting circuits. And the second is I want to add down lighter off one of the ceiling roses which I think is the middle of the circuit so was planning on fitting a maintenance free wago box with each downlighter (4x) connected to the switched line and neutral of the ceiling rose. My other thought was obviously if extended I could then just tap off any ceiling rose even if it’s already a spur of the main run.

I have two questions regarding lighting circuits. The first in is , is it bad practice to put two lighting circuits on on breaker? this would make the 2 circuits into 1. not usually a problem.

as it's a radial circuit, you can branch off any fitting, bearing in mind the capacity of the terminals to take an extra cable. and as you say, load current and loop impedance should be calculated.
Thanks

There’s actually 2 reason one is my CU at home is full and need to add in a circuit but they have split downstairs into 3 different lighting circuits. And the second is I want to add down lighter off one of the ceiling roses which I think is the middle of the circuit so was planning on fitting a maintenance free wago box with each downlighter (4x) connected to the switched line and neutral of the ceiling rose. My other thought was obviously if extended I could then just tap off any ceiling rose even if it’s already a spur of the main run.
Maintenance free wago box was the easier way I meant.

3 downstairs lighting circuit. I don’t see a big problem in combining two of them as long as the loading is ok.

Look up the description pf a circuit wiring fed from an OCPD is a circuit

As to two circuits off of one MCB/RCBO, doing commercial EICR I questioned (in my callow youth) whether it was kosher to have two circuits off of a 32a MCB where two wires for the RFC and one wire for a spur to the comms cab. Turns out that three wires in the MCB is absolutely kosher. I think the only time it is not is where you are terminating different size cables in the same cage or terminal post. You get difficulties holding the smaller cable in with the larger. Lighting circuits hmmm slightly hazy area, I see it all the time in commercial DBs. I think it is ok but some argue it is not but seems to be part of the urban legend series.

Reply to Lighting circuits and having multiple legs of of a ceiling rose in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net