Discuss Lights in porch soffit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

(i)
The installation of equipment attached to the
outside wall of a house (for example security
lighting, air conditioning equipment and radon
fans) is not notifiable provided that there are
no exposed outdoor connections and the
work does not involve the installation of a
new circuit or the extension of a circuit in a
kitchen or special location or associated with
a special installation.

I would say that Tel was right and it is not notifiable, as long as it adheres to above taken from the Part P silliness.

I re-read this and would agree with Tel. Less money to pay Elecsa then as I've always notified outside lights!

I re-read this and would agree with Tel. Less money to pay Elecsa then as I've always notified outside lights!
the bit about exposed outdoor connections. one could argue that this would make a socket outlet notifiable, but then if it was IP55 with a flap on, there's then no exposed outdoor connections, so it would be non-notifiable. typical part pee confusion.

the bit about exposed outdoor connections. one could argue that this would make a socket outlet notifiable, but then if it was IP55 with a flap on, there's then no exposed outdoor connections, so it would be non-notifiable. typical part pee confusion.

Typical Part P confusion - defintely, however I would say that an outdoor socket is always notifiable.

(i)
The installation of equipment attached to the
outside wall of a house (for example security
lighting, air conditioning equipment and radon
fans) is not notifiable provided that there are
no exposed outdoor connections and the
work does not involve the installation of a
new circuit or the extension of a circuit in a
kitchen or special location or associated with
a special installation.

I would say that Tel was right and it is not notifiable, as long as it adheres to above taken from the Part P silliness.
I stand corrected.

outside sockets are notifiable mate its in the elecys guide to building regs

the installation of a socket outlet on a external wall is notifiable , since the socket outlet is an outdoor connector that could be connected to cables that cross the garden and requires RCD protection

my gob is IP00 nat the moment to allow the ingress of newcastle brown

Gentlemen,
Now for my twopenn'eth.
I'm a bit long in the tooth and may be wrong. In my day we had the equipotential bonding area i.e the house. Owt connected to the building fabric was within this area and this is what the regs are driving at, a socket has to have rcd protection wherever it is. If a device is outside tis only common sense for it to be IP rated depending on its exposure to the elements.
Wether or not its notifiable? Best see if venus is correctly aligned with mars.

Innit! We'll have batten holders in carports next. Oh it's got a roof on it.

IP44 bulkhead 2.56 from elecfix, people. No excuses.

Innit! We'll have batten holders in carports next. Oh it's got a roof on it.

IP44 bulkhead 2.56 from elecfix, people. No excuses.

mate i cant agree more , batton holder outside rewireable fuses = electricution ,there are to many people getting hurt and even killed with dodgy outside lighting

mate i cant agree more , batton holder outside rewireable fuses = electricution ,there are to many people getting hurt and even killed with dodgy outside lighting

Dodgy outside lighting..... I'd rather go with dodgy sparkys who jump in to things without knowing what they are doing. I am in my second year of college and I'm lucky enough to have an electrician to go out and work with and learn the trade. So many people in my college who are nearly qualified ( that I wouldn't trust to wire a plug ) are going to be able to go out and work on Joe publics house. It's scary to think what could happen

after another discussion with Elecsa tech support on this matter (the love me) his advice was if its outside IP it and also if your not sure about notifying just do it...! for the sake of 1.50 just do it... that way your --- is covered and no comes backs!

after another discussion with Elecsa tech support on this matter (the love me) his advice was if its outside IP it and also if your not sure about notifying just do it...! for the sake of 1.50 just do it... that way your --- is covered and no comes backs!
Yayhayhay and alls rosey in the garden of soffit lighting.
Hope the job goes ok.

ok, hypothetical situation. existing lighting circiut with cables buried in walls, no RCD ( installed pre-17th ). you are adding soffit lights to this circiut. as the cabling you install is in the loft and above the soffit, no rcd is required. but... because yoiu are altering the xisting circuit, should you then fit RCD to the whole circuit to make it comply with 522.6.6?

not quite my point, truckster. the point being, if your new cable is surface and not requiring rcd, because you have altered the existing curcuit whose existing cable would require rcd as per 522.6.6, would you rcd the circuit.?

ok I'll bite, yes I would as it's an alteration to the existing, dependant on the existing electrics I would rcd the whole circuit or just the new bit to limit liability.

i would rcd the whole circuit, just because it can be considered that by altering that circuit, i am then taking responsibility for it. bit of a bugger if it's on a rewireable board and i've got to put a separate rcd adjacent to the board though. specially if there's a borrowed neutral kicking around .

One I did measured up great, fitted the RCD to the whole cct all fine. 6 weeks later customers on the phone saying the trip kept going. His wife is disabled so being a bit f a softy I said I'd come round, this at 6pm Friday night. Sure enough fault to earth.3 hours later after ploughing through 10 inches of insulation I tracked down a JB which had one cable with the fault. Disconnected it, tested fine RCD happy. Tried to find where and what this cable was doing, nothing..everything working. Asked the customer if there were any points that I hadn't found, nope.

Cup of tea/smoke time. As I was standing in the back garden I noticed a small nub of cable hanging just behind the fascia board. Questioned the customer. "Oh yeah, there used to be a light there but when the facsias were painted the painter cut it off because it was broken" He had just snipped the cable and left it, bit of wet weather and it was shorting so I like to limit that kind of call back where poss.

Reply to Lights in porch soffit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net