Discuss Loft Radial Circuit... in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mrtrump

Hi, i would like to add some extra sockets to my loft , on inspection of the existing cct installed in the loft it looks like its a radial that has been taken from the upstairs ring, spured from the back of a bedroom wall socket. I know this is not ideal but if i was to add a Fused RCD socket to the start of the cct and then added the extra sockets ( Shown in Red) would this be safe?

Any other suggestion would be appreciated?

thanks

Craigradial.jpg

anything after the fcu will be fused down and rcd protected (if using an rcd fcu) so although not ideal but would suffice providing vd isnt an issue

Sounds good to me, seen it loads of times. When all said and done all you are doing is installing a hardwired extension lead. Make sure R1/R2 and Zs are in spec though, you dont want to exceed maximum circuit length and make it dangerous. My preference would be to try and cut into the ring, and extend that.

Cheers..........Howard

you don't say if the ring is already RCD protected. if so, you just need a FCU to feed the radial, bearing in mind previous posts regarding load and volt drop. i would try and make connections in sockets rather than use JBs. less joins to worry about.

What's the layout in your loft, how are cables installed/being installed?

Thanks for the quick replys people, to answer a few of your questions..... The total floor is 4.5x4 m so the runs are not massive, so hopefully no issues with voltage drop. the cables are ran in the storage space in the eves, if that makes sense, so its easy to access.....The rest of the house is not RCD protected, but im looking into getting a new CU this year hopefully so i might just leave out the RCD FCU and stick in a normal FCU for now??

Also im unable to extend it back to the upper floor ring at the moment due to disturbing decor etc.. So i was hoping to keep it like it is but protected with a FCU..

Thanks again for your replys.

Thanks for the quick replys people, to answer a few of your questions..... The total floor is 4.5x4 m so the runs are not massive, so hopefully no issues with voltage drop. the cables are ran in the storage space in the eves, if that makes sense, so its easy to access.....The rest of the house is not RCD protected, but im looking into getting a new CU this year hopefully so i might just leave out the RCD FCU and stick in a normal FCU for now??

Also im unable to extend it back to the upper floor ring at the moment due to disturbing decor etc.. So i was hoping to keep it like it is but protected with a FCU..

Thanks again for your replys.

If your going to stick to the letter of the Regs then you should really fit an RCD FCU as your sockets will be for use in a domestic situation. I'm sure by not fitting that RCD FCU you will not be creating a "Death Trap" just stating that by the regs you should.

You will though have to make sure that all your disconnection times are still good as by increasing the size of the circuit will affect the Zs value, but if you fitted that RCD FCU then that would be negated. And you should also issue a MEIWC.

This may seem OTT to you but this is how it should be done and for safety reasons please think about it.

am i getting this post correct lads, you add a fused connection unit with rcd incorparated. is this just a 2G socket with built in rcd thyanks and sorry if im away off the mark.. im learning and im next on the list to get my first sparkie jobie

Reply to Loft Radial Circuit... in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net