Discuss Low Voltage lighting spurred from a central point in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

TonyLeigh

Hi, I've been called in to finish work started by a Part P builder. After fixing numerous problems I'm left with one. Its a loft conversion and has 9 fire rated downlights. the problem is that he has 3 interlinked JB's that arent accessible and all lights are spurred off of these. I only ever run light to light in series but is this acceptable for an installation cert? Obviously he wants to keep the finished ceiling in one piece but I've told him he may have to have a couple of access panels cut into the ceiling to maintain these.

cut ceiling. replace JBs with maintenance free ones. get builder to make good the ceiling.

Hi, I've been called in to finish work started by a Part P builder. After fixing numerous problems I'm left with one. Its a loft conversion and has 9 fire rated downlights. the problem is that he has 3 interlinked JB's that arent accessible and all lights are spurred off of these. I only ever run light to light in series but is this acceptable for an installation cert? Obviously he wants to keep the finished ceiling in one piece but I've told him he may have to have a couple of access panels cut into the ceiling to maintain these.

:whatchutalkingabout......................................hope not

Can you not re-work the wiring so that you can access the JB via the hole for the downlight

:whatchutalkingabout......................................hope not .

20 x 12v spots in series does away with the need for a transformer. cost reducing excercise. LOL.

also has the advantage of the fact that of 1 lamp fails, they all go out, so a £50 call-out is on the cards to find out which one!

my mistake, I just meant as a radial, light to light. thanks telectrix, I called him to say that was really his only option but glad to have this verified. MF JB's are the way forward. Is it ok then to feed each light from a central point then or shall I rewire it as a radial?

ive maintained 110V lights that were wired in series as pairs. no idea why it was installed like that, as par56 lamps are easy to get hold of in 230V. Maybe the luights turned up wrong, and the original installer was on a time scale?

back to the OP, as others have said, cut the ceiling, install MF JB, jobs a goodun

Reply to Low Voltage lighting spurred from a central point in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net