Discuss Mains wired smoke / heat / CO detector question in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thanks everyone.

Just had a chat with electrician and explained what building control said about not needing mains powered sensors. He's said to check with main builder and the building inspector, so will do that.

He also says because the consumer unit is being moved it needs to adhere to updated regs, so we need a new "gen-18 unit" and "these are a bit more pricey than they used to be". - Can anyone confirm if this is the case?

Losing the will a bit here, phew.
I'm glad you will sort it out ,I can now take the pop corn out of the oven .:D

CU is moving about 6ft up the wall it's currently fixed to, mains cable runs up the same wall.

We've not anticipated any circuits being extended as the current rooms already have lights, sockets, oven etc. circuits in them. There will be some moving of wiring but doubt there'll be additional circuits needed. There are 3 spare module slots in the current CU if that makes any difference.

IMO then is just moving an enclosure & I would suggest comes under maintenance, & does not warrant latest. In such a scenario, I would contact my Scheme for guidance, but as I'm no longer in a Scheme I can't.

no ,trying to help you ,if you having any work done then the only people to give you advise this your local building control .

Buzz - I know you're just messing mate but is there any chance you could answer the questions I've asked and genuinely give your expert view on this situation
Just had a chat with electrician and explained what building control said about not needing mains powered sensors. He's said to check with main builder and the building inspector
I put that in post #15 for you .

its about time the government need to put on tv about part p, so people like you ,would under stand how things work ,your building inspector and builder should advised you straight away .and the spark that doing the job .

you can get battery only detectors that interlink wi-fi. see screwfix.
https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/fireangel-wst-630q-wireless-interlink-thermoptek-smoke-alarm/87048

He also says because the consumer unit is being moved it needs to adhere to updated regs, so we need a new "gen-18 unit" and "these are a bit more pricey than they used to be".

that is total Bollox. re-siting a perfectly good CU is compliant.

a "gen 18 unit " is just the same gubbins in a metal box.

If the CU is being moved 6ft up the wall, its not going to be at a regulation height, ie it'll be too near the ceiling. You'll need steps to reset a breaker.

Nothing wrong with using battery powered smokes with radiolink interconnect from Aico for example. More expensive to buy, but saving time on install. (4 detectors, 30 minutes tops) and theres no cables to run under floors etc. No damage to existing decoration.

The only thing not regulation with the board is that its plastic. Buy a metal one yourself and use the existing breakers. Just has to be the same make of board.

Is this electrician already doing work for you or is there a chance of getting other quotes?

regulation height for CUs ( along with dwarf accessible light switches) applies ony to new builds.

I put that in post #15 for you .

See post #11 mate. I'd already explained that I'd spoken to building control and they'd contradicted the electrician.

I can only go on what I'm told up-front so if I get an updated quote just before work starts with an unexpected extra £820 for the extra electrical work I'm well within my rights to question that. Good job I did too, eh, as if I didn't I wouldn't be here getting good advice from people who know a bit more than I do.

What I've worked out today is that there is a disconnect between electrician and the builder and inspector. I'll find out tomorrow morning exactly what the building inspector expectations are in terms of mains wired sensors.

Your comments throughout have added nothing of value but the guy trying to get the advice got it from those that would rather be helpful. Sorry if you've taken some kind of offence early on in this thread, I'm only asking questions mate....

A bit of banter can keep the mood of the forum nice and light. Don't worry about it. We generally manage a 25/75 split of useless/useful so not too bad :)

If the CU is being moved 6ft up the wall, its not going to be at a regulation height, ie it'll be too near the ceiling. You'll need steps to reset a breaker.

Nothing wrong with using battery powered smokes with radiolink interconnect from Aico for example. More expensive to buy, but saving time on install. (4 detectors, 30 minutes tops) and theres no cables to run under floors etc. No damage to existing decoration.

The only thing not regulation with the board is that its plastic. Buy a metal one yourself and use the existing breakers. Just has to be the same make of board.

Is this electrician already doing work for you or is there a chance of getting other quotes?
Thanks littlespark

The main builder has got his preferred electrician, I've just spoken to him (builder) and explained I'm not happy with the extra £820 and want him to check with building inspector before any of the extra sensor related stuff is started. Apparently building inspector won't be getting involved in the CU debate, it's down to the electrician's governing body so that's thrown up another question?

Hi - there would seem little point in replacing that Consumer Unit. But they are not that expensive. If it's being relocated it will involve the same testing IMHO as replacing so you could consider it I suppose. I'd confirm the brand and type of detectors planned, as there are £10 ones and £60 ones, just saying.

As I said before, nothing wrong with that board, it's a better quality one than they would more than likely install and there's no need to update as it's only being moved. Not as if it's an old 3036 board.

What are the schemes take on 'moving' a consumer unit?
It will involve the same work as replacing old for new, so should involve the same testing of cables and connections.

If it was just moving a couple of inches to fit in another piece of equipment, then no disconnection taking place, no need to update board or test.

Its this individual electrician's understanding of the regs.

So all the guys on here stating they would not change the board what certificate would you provide?
Because you wouldn’t be able to provide an installation certificate
For the cost of a new easy 9 board without breakers it is a no brainier

The smokes he is rong but you can’t beat hard wired for reliability what price on your family’s life

From my experience on the few extensions, I have been involved with building control have wanted smoke detectors on the escape route and heat detectors in the kitchen.

Mini-update-
From tomorrow, 1st March, the regulations change in Scotland, allowing the fitting of 10 year tamper-proof battery alarms, smoke and heat, linked by a wireless connection/radio module, in rented property, where previously hard-wired alarms were required.

Thanks for the input guys, very much appreciated. Builder has said he's checked with building inspector and the inspector wants to see minimum 2 x mains wired smokes. The heat and CO he's not bothered about apparently. Weird!

The cost associated with moving the Consumer unit is at the interpretation of the electrician based on his governing body and he's not changing his mind on that. He still says we need a new gen-18 metal box.

Sounds like building inspectors have there own interpretations as I'd been given advice from LA building control that wired mains detectors weren't required. The builder is using a private building inspector company.

Reply to Mains wired smoke / heat / CO detector question in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net