Discuss Medical Question in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Marvo

-
Staff member
Mod
Mentor
Esteemed
Supporter
Reaction score
I have a medical problem. I can't stop buying tools.

If I see a well engineered or well manufactured tool I can't help buying it.

It doesn't matter if I know I'm never going to use it.
It doesn't matter if I already have a good working version of the same tool.
It doesn't matter if I can't really afford it at that point in time.
I just can't help but buy it anyway so I can be the proud owner and I can pull it out from time to time and just marvel at its feel and little nuances, its balance, its perfectly proportioned dimensions and its immaculate finishing.

Alas as I get older the symptoms are getting worse and the unjustifiable purchases more frequent.

Is there a cure?

I wish it was only electrical tools but alas not. Recent purchases include a cordless vacuum pump that can pull a 10 micron vacuum, a second hand gebrit press tool for p;lumbing and 18 inch heamostats....just because

Let us know the results of your Elex test

Seems I'm not too badly infected. Only thing I bought was an all metric 5m tape measure to replace the last of my French 'imports' that I broke a couple of weeks ago. The Stanley one I bought was the only one I could find in the whole show. 1970 was when the UK 'went metric', why on earth are they still selling tapes with feet and inches on?
Show itself wasn't to bad, but there's been a definite shift away from Elex towards Toolfair. Denmans was the only wholesaler there, most of the old school manufacturers were absent, and worst of all, the only freebee was a tee shirt - not even the ubiquitous free bacon roll was on offer.

Never been to a UK trade show but from what I heard on the forum the Elex show used to be the stuff of legends. Strange it's only a shadow of its former self nowadays....

My symptoms are getting worse. Here's a couple of recent purchases;

First up is the Wera 1/4 in drive socket set.

1714489475119.jpg

Actually I lied, I said socket set in the singular but I got so excited when I saw them I bought two.

I've got lots of 1/4 in drive socket sets on rails already so these are completely redundant and surplus to rquirements... but I liked the rails they come on. They're flexible and they clip inside your toolbag, also the sockets have a twist lock system onto the rails so they won't accidentally fall off and they're easy to remove when you want them. Those two reasons were enought to seal the deal and the purchase button was pressed.

Next up is a shifting spanner or adjustable spanner/wrench if you're in the UK/USA.

1714489475100.jpg

Did I need an adjustable spanner....no, did I hell. I've got dozens of them from over the decades, all of them are well made and work beautifully and some of them are also extra wide mouth. So why on earth did I buy this one? Well, it's Japanese made and the cast quality and the grind and finish quality is sublime. It's a very compact handle reminiscent of a slogging spanner and there's almost no slop in the jaws which maintain parallel even under high load. Such balance, such poise and such manufacturing prowess meant I couldn't find it in myself scroll past it without owning it. Imagine if I had to sit there and know that I had my chance but I declined and someone else was now the proud owner and was getting their cheap thrills by marvelling at it's beauty whilst turning it over and molesting it in their dirty mitts... No thank you, I think not.

I bought a Bahco 9031 8" wide jaw adjustable as I couldn't find the one I had. I went to the van to put it in my tool chest and found my missing one. Oh well.

I bought a Bahco adjustable wrench...beautiful thing...my plumber admired it,,,and I haven't seen it since!
A friend, who has no electrical or tool knowledge, bought me a Knipex installation pliers, I just couldn't quite justify the cost, but he bought me the top end ones and they are my go-to every day now. I have no idea how he worked out that was what I wanted, but I love him! (Platonic, before you ask!)

Oh,,,got seduced by a Unilte advert recently too! Buy 2 of the folding utility knives and get the fixed one for a fiver. Did I need 3 new knives? Yes, of course!

I wasn't going to get started on torches, flashlights and worklights, that was going to be for another day.

I've got dozens, literally dozens of torches and worklights. This weeks addition was a Streamlight Syclone. Did I buy it because Streamlight is my favourite brand? No, I love any good quality brand, Streamlight, Olight, Unilite, Fenix, Nitecore, Thrunite, Coast....I'm really not fussy. Did I particularly need a high CRI, dual colour temp, dimmable worklight..? No, I already have numerous and also some spare ones. I bought it because I'm weak, I liked its size and form factor and I wanted it in my hands.

1714504173218.jpg

Just as well I didn't get carried away last Friday, and invest in a cordless SDS drill (the only everyday sparky tool I don't have in cordless).
A neighbour of mine called in yesterday and presented me with a free 36V Bosch SDS, with one 4A good battery, a 18/36 volt fast charger and a second 4A battery that had failed a while ago. The reason for him presenting me with this, was that the charger had been used in the rain, had gone bang, and he has decided to change to Milwaukee.
Took the bottom cover off of the charger, was obvious by the blown tracks on the PCB that it would never charge again, so a look on eBay found one at ÂŁ30 with 0 bids and 2 hours to go, which I subsequently bought as the only bidder.
The dud battery will be inspected at a later time, but the last failed Bosch battery I looked at simply had a failed spot weld on one of the straps linking the cells together.

I suffer from the same issue!
Not just electrical kit either but I do woodwork metalwork and Welding too which doesn't help.
I also have a fair amount of mates that are always buying kit, if I go to see them they will always say 'got this the other day' then let me use whatever it is. This makes me instantly need one too!
Had to stop going to the tool fairs it's just too much temptation to need new gear!

Just as well I didn't get carried away last Friday, and invest in a cordless SDS drill (the only everyday sparky tool I don't have in cordless).
A neighbour of mine called in yesterday and presented me with a free 36V Bosch SDS,
I've had one of those for years, it's a great little beast and just keeps going on and on.

Reply to Medical Question in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net