Discuss Meter not working, 'no load' on screen - please help a non-electrician in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

bobgrant

I've been scouring the internet trying to get some answers, and couldn't find any so I thought I'd ask the experts. :smilewinkgrin:

Moved into a flat in Scotland about five weeks ago. K Series Radio Telemeter, Economy 7, two rates, storage heaters. From the sticker on the wall it looks like it was installed by Dataserve UK in 2008.

The letting agency had 3 photographs of the meter readings (rate 1, rate 2, total) from the previous tenants' move-out. The first week I was there, I started checking the meter to see if I could get a sense of my electricity usage, and realised that none of the rates were changing. But the date and time screens were working perfectly well, and I was definitely getting electricity (including for the storage heater which we turned on accidentally on the first day). We've never had the slightest problem with supply.

I didn't want to stay with the previous supplier, Scottish Power, as I'd had bad experiences with them, so I went with Utility Warehouse. At first they insisted I had two meters because they had two MPANs in their system, so I had to ask the neighbours and look all around for a second meter, and I suspected it was one of those situations where they were actually reading another meter in the building, but then they realised the supply historically had two suppliers and they'd suppress one so I'd only be paying for the meter I actually have. They have just taken over the supply, so now we can finally get an engineer in to figure out what is happening and why the meter isn't recording any usage.

Letting agency says that the previous tenants claim that the meter was working fine when they lived there. I think the previous tenants are liars, because the chances of the meter suddenly stopping in the 24 hours between our tenancies is very small, and also they left several broken things for me to deal with so they have a record of not bothering to report things. If the meter wasn't broken when I moved in, then I have to pay for everything, so obviously I would like to prove that it was like that when I got here. I've already emailed the Citizens Advice people and they've already kicked me up to the extra help unit, so if I need to start arguing that I am not responsible for a £££ bill then I've got that in motion already.

UW asked me to send photographs of all the meter screens, and I also got the letting agency's photographs to send on to them. They are awful photos, but you can see that in all of them, it says NO LOAD at the bottom. And it also says that on the meter today.

Questions:

What specifically does 'no load' mean? Does it explain anything about what's gone wrong?

Will the engineer be able to get any information about when the meter stopped working, or how much electricity has been used since that time to the time it gets fixed? I think UW hinted that they could, but I don't remember what they said.

Anything else I should know?

Thanks very much for any suggestions/help.

Welcome to the forum Bob.

I've changed you permissions so you should be able to post images, if you can let us see some photos of the meter and its surrounding wiring/meter tails I think you'll get better replies and advice.

You've only just moved in and you've informed the new supplier that you think there is a metering problem so I can't see that you've got anything at all to worry about.

I know it's probably bothering you, but I suspect your supplier will have seen it all before. The fact you have notified them quickly is helpful.

The no load could be due to a faulty meter or because it's wrongly connected or deliberately been tampered with. A photo or two might enable us to give you and answer, but ultimately your supplier should be able to sort it out without too much trouble.

Have you noticed any sort of pungent herbal like smell in the house yet? ;)

I assure you the only pungent herbs in the house are the basil and oregano in my spag bol sauce. :grin:

Thanks Marvo and ImpeededLoop. Here are a few photos of the wiring and screen. I can take others if they will help - just tell me what you need to see.

http://i.Upload the image directly to the thread.com/5eP3QDS.jpg

http://i.Upload the image directly to the thread.com/lZx4bec.jpg

http://i.Upload the image directly to the thread.com/kvZo7cf.jpg

That is Horseman meter, no load displayed is when Db switched off, if you are sure that is your meter and all switched on, good chance faulty meter and needs to be exchanged. Try doing an burns test ie turning on as much load as you can, and see if it goes out and starts to flash, last thing trace meter to first isolator then switch off to prove meter is for your property. ( I take the meter is in an comunial area)

That is Horseman meter, no load displayed is when Db switched off, if you are sure that is your meter and all switched on, good chance faulty meter and needs to be exchanged. Try doing an burns test ie turning on as much load as you can, and see if it goes out and starts to flash, last thing trace meter to first isolator then switch off to prove meter is for your property. ( I take the meter is in an comunial area)

Thanks for your reply Dave. No, the meter is is in my utility cupboard inside the flat, and there is no sign of any meter in the communal areas (I looked, the handyman looked, and I asked a neighbour).

Does Db mean distribution board? I have two fuse boxes above the meter but everything is in the on position.

Thanks for your reply Dave. No, the meter is is in my utility cupboard inside the flat, and there is no sign of any meter in the communal areas (I looked, the handyman looked, and I asked a neighbour).

Does Db mean distribution board? I have two fuse boxes above the meter but everything is in the on position.
yes db is the fuseboard/distribution board/consumer unit all names for the same thing.

Okay, thanks for explaining.

I do know that using the storage heaters doesn't change the readings, so load or no load, I've still got a meter that isna working!

Thanks Dave and Murdoch, I did call the supplier but they haven't been able to send anyone out because they have to take over the meter first.

I've been reporting this to my letting agent since a week after I moved in, but they're claiming that it worked fine for the previous tenants and I'll have to pay for any damages if I can't prove there's a fault with the meter. So I'm trying to get more information on what the problem might be.

Also I like to know how things work in my house. :detective: I'm that weirdo who reads instructions manuals.

HI Bob,

I too have moved-in to a new flat and am having the same problem with my meter readings. Like you, I also opted for UW as my new supplier and have the same K series radio telemeter. Since two weeks, I do not see any change in my meter readings. Can you please let me know how was the problem resolved and where the issue is?

Thanks
Ganesh

Reply to Meter not working, 'no load' on screen - please help a non-electrician in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net