Discuss Moving a meter in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

If you are getting the DNO to move it why not get it put outside they seem to like moving meters outside it should then be well out of the way . The cost ? think you fill a form in online and they get back to you or contact them by phone.

Just had the meter moved at my parents house this week.

2 1/2 hours, 2x men
Take down overhead supply to back of house, put up new overhead to front of house.
Clip cable along eaves and down wall to new meter box.
New head, fit old meter in new position and fit an isolator.
They even tested it and wrote the measured Ze on the head, with PME label too.

All for less than £1000.

If you look on the net there is a system design manual PDF. Once you’ve waded through the interesting (HV/MV) stuff you will find the requirements for moving a supply. It then becomes obvious why the cost varies from job to job.

Yes Mick hiVe been to 3 dno jobs moving g the meter all over £1000 and roughly moved about a metre to 2 metres
As he said we could have just said don't do it

Each job may diifer........ re London....informing Council to get parking space.chargeable to customer. If working on the highway which includes paths grass verges etc again Road openings have to be applied for from the the Council. There is more work that goes on behind the screen than meets the eye.Also if 3rd party involved like land owners and even looped neighbour's.

If you look on the net there is a system design manual PDF. Once you’ve waded through the interesting (HV/MV) stuff you will find the requirements for moving a supply. It then becomes obvious why the cost varies from job to job.

You don't need to read all that to see why the cost varies from job to job. Any electrician should be able to appreciate the reasons as it's no different to the 'how much to move a socket?' Question we all get asked on a regular basis.

Reply to Moving a meter in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net