Discuss Moving meter - Service Entry (SE) cable into panel in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

jdbuckeye

DIY
Reaction score
Forum,

I am converting from overhead too underground service to my house. This involved moving the meter about 11 feet down a wall from its current location. The old meter base sits directly outside of the electric panel. So, at the new meter base, I plan to penetrate the exterior wall, then run service entry cable through the wall and into the basement. The service entry cable will then run under floor the joists and over to the service panel (about 11 feet).

I am thinking I am going to have a rough time getting the service entry cable to bend in such a way that I can get it into the top of the panel (where the old SE cable enters the panel). That stuff is stout!

Any advice on how to approach this problem? Some ideas that come to mind, but I am not sure of the limitations and pros and cons:

1) Rather than coming through the house at the new meter base, run the SE cable down the outside wall and into the hole where the old SE cable comes into the house and to the panel.

2) Drill holes in the one or two joists closest to the panel to get the cable above the panel. This would avoid the bend up and then back down into the panel in close quarters.

3) Bring the SE cable through the side of the panel rather than the top.

Other ideas?

Other information that might be useful:

• The house is stucco exterior
  • Service location is in Ohio
  • The service is 200 AMP
  • The meter base includes a disconnect
  • The SE cable is Aluminum SE-U 4/0-4/0-4/0

Thanks!
Jeff (DIY)

Forum,

I am converting from overhead too underground service to my house. This involved moving the meter about 11 feet down a wall from its current location. The old meter base sits directly outside of the electric panel. So, at the new meter base, I plan to penetrate the exterior wall, then run service entry cable through the wall and into the basement. The service entry cable will then run under floor the joists and over to the service panel (about 11 feet).

I am thinking I am going to have a rough time getting the service entry cable to bend in such a way that I can get it into the top of the panel (where the old SE cable enters the panel). That stuff is stout!

Any advice on how to approach this problem? Some ideas that come to mind, but I am not sure of the limitations and pros and cons:

1) Rather than coming through the house at the new meter base, run the SE cable down the outside wall and into the hole where the old SE cable comes into the house and to the panel.

2) Drill holes in the one or two joists closest to the panel to get the cable above the panel. This would avoid the bend up and then back down into the panel in close quarters.

Other ideas?

• The service is 200 AMP

Thanks!
Jeff (DIY)
JD buckeye if you go with copper you can drop down to 2/0 on all 3 conductors with a # 6 ground. You have to pull 4 wires from the panel to your panel inside. Question is are you an electrician. Is the a new panel - meter combo with a 100 amp breaker to feed your panel inside. It’s very important that you bond that new service to ground rods. It’s not that easy without experience and did you draw a permit. Again are you an electrician and if not you need to hire one and you can help him. Me personally I wouldn’t do it the way you are saying
[automerge]1569546717[/automerge]
Forum,

Other ideas?

• The service is 200 AMP

Thanks!
Jeff (DIY)
JD I think that since you are a DIY you are way in over your head. There is so many things have to be done in the right order I cannot give you advice, the only thing you can do is hire an license electrician. Someone has to draw a permit and how are you dealing with a power company. Please this is one job you do not won’t to do own your own. Good luck

Last edited:
I'm commenting late at night long day.
Re DNO meter position? Are you planning to have that sited in the cellar?
If so, that's a no no these days. Classed as fire hazard and flood hazard.

I'm commenting late at night long day.
Re DNO meter position? Are you planning to have that sited in the cellar?
If so, that's a no no these days. Classed as fire hazard and flood hazard.
@Driver man he is just wanting to run his wire through his basement to the panel which is buy code

Per the advise here, I hired an electrician to help me finish the job. We penetrated the exterior wall beneath the meter base, then ran inside the basement to the panel. We entered the panel through the side and did not have to drill holes in the joists near the panel.

I really do appreciate everyone's help and advice!

Jeff

Per the advise here, I hired an electrician to help me finish the job. We penetrated the exterior wall beneath the meter base, then ran inside the basement to the panel. We entered the panel through the side and did not have to drill holes in the joists near the panel.

I really do appreciate everyone's help and advice!

Jeff
Congratulations Jeff and have a great day

Reply to Moving meter - Service Entry (SE) cable into panel in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net