Discuss Moving the CU in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Amp David

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
A customer wants a consumer unit moved about a meter to one side, because she's converting the garage and wants to put a door where the consumer unit is now.
If I don't upgrade the consumer unit, and don't alter or add to any of the circuits, do I have to test the whole house and give an Installation Certificate?

I would be testing, what happens if someone gets a fatal belt a few weeks after you moved it and you have no test results. It could be totally unsafe within the fabric.

I think the finger would be pointed straight at the mover....................

I would be testing, what happens if someone gets a fatal belt a few weeks after you moved it and you have no test results. It could be totally unsafe within the fabric.

I think the finger would be pointed straight at the mover....................

so you carry out a full EICR for every job ?

I think you obviously have to exercise common sense but yes in this case I would as there is going to be other electrical work carried out to convert the garage into a useable room which would require building regs for change of use.

Other factors need to be considered like age of installation, diy work apparent etc etc

Personally I'd treat it as a CU change from the testing point of view.

No, only the ones where I disconnect every circuit for the installation, extend the cables, then make new connections. It just wouldn't seem right not to.

This sounds like a partial rewire :)
Every circuit is getting a new bit of wiring, I am not sure you can still use the "old" board at all.
No need to do an EICR for every job, but the ones where you are altering the Zs and R1+R2 of all the circuits, should in IHMO be tested up front and a Installation cert done afterwards, how would you know if you have increased the VD beyond what is acceptable?

Personally I'd treat it as a CU change from the testing point of view.

No, only the ones where I disconnect every circuit for the installation, extend the cables, then make new connections. It just wouldn't seem right not to.

and all your customers are happy to pay for this extra service ?

I doubt it, and I see your point Biff buddy, but if you disconnect a Dist board and extend the cables then re-connect I think it would be difficult not to re-test the circuits and certify, I have been racking my brains about not doing this, I can't see how it is avoidable, great debate though and interesting.

no-one is saying dont test or dont check over installation prior to any work , it was a question of which cert.
instead we get the usual drama queen crap on what if someone dies ?
i'm sure loads get killed every year from excessive R1+R2 readings.

no-one is saying dont test or dont check over installation prior to any work , it was a question of which cert.

So what would you do "cowboy" lol

I personally would issue a completion certificate due to the fact I had interfered with all circuits and would want to ensure they were safe and sound after re-connecting, plus it is my name of the certificate saying it is safe for a family to live in the house after the works.

I wouldn't be testing in case someone dies, just to make sure everything was as it should be. The other reason for testing the full range would be to cover myself if other subsequent work generated a fault. I would have a dated record of the readings at the end of the work I'd completed.

What extra service? I'd only test the circuits I'd worked on, which is all of them, and issue the appropriate paperwork, which would be an EIC.

Reply to Moving the CU in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net