Discuss Multiple Pumps on Heating Systems in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

Up until now I have mainly been dealing with bog standard Y and S plan heating systems with single pumps albeit sometimes adding smart control systems etc but in the last week I have come across a couple of installations where there are multiple valves and pumps in the system and I am curious if this is a new trend or just an anomaly in old houses where people have been bodging over the years.

For instance one install I worked on Friday contains 5 pumps and four 2 port valves - I was there trying to sort out the controller for the UFH - previous sparky couldn't work out how to program it so just used an ACL drayton time control to apply power to the UFH system controller based on a time schedule.

It is now working as expected but at least 3 pumps and one 2 port valve operate when there is a call for heat - 1 pump is in the UFH manifold, 1 in the flow to the UFH next to the boiler where there is also the valve and a final pump in the return pipework at the boiler.

In the CH loop there is one pump on the flow side and a 2 port valve as well as the boiler return pump which also starts when there is a CH demand.

Most bizarrely there's a pump and two 2 way valves in the flow to the HW (unvented cylinder - and I have no plans to touch anything relating to the cylinder itself!) which again spin up in addition to the return pump when there is a call for HW. The HW tank is right next to the boiler though so I can't believe there would be a flow issue!

Can anyone recommend any books or courses on the less typical types of setups? Everything I have managed to find so far is targeted at the modern Wendy box with a simple y plan.

Also are there any good 3 zone controller systems out there people would recommend?

Cheers

Paul

Most systems have several pumps,especially ufh systems,these would be controlled by each ufh zone control box.
Main system pump usually connects to the boiler itself,on marked pump terminals.
Dhws secondary pump could be left on,or on time lock.Cylinder stat would control on & off signals back to boiler.
When system calls for heat,each zone that calling will switch on pumps that are required.
Can't really think of any books just experience.

Most bizarrely there's a pump and two 2 way valves in the flow to the HW (unvented cylinder - and I have no plans to touch anything relating to the cylinder itself!) which again spin up in addition to the return pump when there is a call for HW. The HW tank is right next to the boiler though so I can't believe there would be a flow issue!

Can anyone recommend any books or courses on the less typical types of setups? Everything I have managed to find so far is targeted at the modern Wendy box with a simple y plan.

Also are there any good 3 zone controller systems out there people would recommend?

Cheers

Paul

Horstman do a 3 channel time clock

The second HW valve was probably installed by the plumber who fitted the unvented cylinder it is only required for positive shut off in a Y plan .

Most systems have several pumps,especially ufh systems,these would be controlled by each ufh zone control box.

Can't really think of any books just experience.

Hi Cliffed,

I would understand the need for multiple pumps in a zoned system but this was a single UFH zone which is what threw me

I am spending some time with one of the plumbers locally to learn a bit more whilst in front of the systems.

cheers

paul

Hi Cliffed,

I would understand the need for multiple pumps in a zoned system but this was a single UFH zone which is what threw me

I am spending some time with one of the plumbers locally to learn a bit more whilst in front of the systems.

cheers

paul
Good luck,hope he's a helpful plumber,letting you know how it all works.

The actual heating system sounds like it's a bit of a mess. Usually you would have a 2 port valve and pump on the UFH, 2 port valve on the heating zone, and a 2 port valve on the hot water circuit. You'd then have a pump on the flow of your boiler (So before any valves) which would click on when there is demand from any of the system. You wouldn't need any more pumps unless it was a massive system.

Reply to Multiple Pumps on Heating Systems in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net