Discuss National championship in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Rob had to be in your country
I can’t understand what the UK has against wire nuts we just use them on smaller wires with very little current other than that we use split bolts. Junction boxes are for distribution of circuits to lighting and no we don’t have terminal blocks in our junction boxes and in my opinion that just runs up the price on the customer.

I haven't worked in the UK for 14months now.

Most of my work now is in the USA with some stints in Germany. So what I am saying is first hand experience.

The UK doesn't use wire nuts. They did try to introduce them, but they never took off.

Rob I agree we have a lot of idiots who do work in America that should be picking up trash on the side of the road. They give people that go through the process of getting there license a bad name and I have worked a lot of people that should not be in this trade. All countries have them

The NEC code is pretty much a paint by numbers rule book.
The installation method is pretty basic as is the paperwork trail.
It’s a rudimentary system but has to be admired for its simplicity.
They have some very odd terminology and their bonding grounding system is pretty unusual for us as is having mixed lights and sockets on one breaker.
But it’s just how they do it....
Dusty how about you getting a copy of the NEC and start reading it then come back and see if it is as easy as paint by numbers, just read article 250 bonding and grounding

Wow, so there has never been a fire from a loose connection, shirt circuit, conductive dust ingress, trapped conductor etc etc?

If I had never done any inspection or testing then I could probably also say I've never had a problem with my work. However I do carry out testing and have on rare occasions found a problem with my work which ive put right before turning things on.
Dave I do my work right before I walk away from it

Rob I agree we have a lot of idiots who do work in America that should be picking up trash on the side of the road. They give people that go through the process of getting there license a bad name and I have worked a lot of people that should not be in this trade. All countries have them
Got to admire the US at least they have a licensing regime.

Dave as far as resistance on the ground rods we are required to install 2 ground rods where it used to be just 1 the NEC took soil samples and found that the resistance wasn’t up to par so that’s when we went to 2 rods instead of 1. If I take my ohm meter and measure the resistance to ground I read less than .05 that is hardly no resistance to ground so no need to install multiple rods. The difference is the soil in the UK and the soil in America

Dave as far as resistance on the ground rods we are required to install 2 ground rods where it used to be just 1 the NEC took soil samples and found that the resistance wasn’t up to par so that’s when we went to 2 rods instead of 1. If I take my ohm meter and measure the resistance to ground I read less than .05 that is hardly no resistance to ground so no need to install multiple rods. The difference is the soil in the UK and the soil in America

How do you measure it with an ohm meter?

I'm not saying you don't do it right, but without testing and record keeping how do you know for sure and prove it?

I do my work right, but sometimes mistakes creep in.
Also you can do the job right but still find a problem when it comes to testing. For example if the external earth fault loop impedance is too high, or an accessory has been supplied faulty.

No doubt the electrician who terminated this 25 years ago was sure they were doing their work right, and judging by the rest of the panel I'd say they did, but this one mistake still happened and wasn't found until I tested it today.
IMG_20190815_123828.jpg

Won't there be a huge difference between soil samples across the whole of America?

Out of interest @Megawatt does America use RCD/RCBO devices and are they tested as ours are? ie, 40ms trip time
No Dave we have very specific rules that is mandated by the NC board of electrical contractors I’m sure other jurisdictions have there own ways of doing things and I follow all rules by the book. We also have to go every year and take continuing education classes and no we don’t have to run test after the installation, but when you call in for a final inspection they come out and go over it like a fine tooth comb and they are the ones who have to sign off on your work. They don’t just let us fill out paperwork. They are very thorough. And like you I’ve done hundreds of panel upgrades and never failed an inspection and the homes are still there with no problems. I don’t do domestic like y’all I just do upgrades. My line of work is industrial plants and I’ve yet to leave a customer without a smile on their face. No disrespect

Reply to National championship in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net