Discuss Need advice on electrician course. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Chrissyd

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I know this has probably been posted before, but I was wondering what is the best way to become an electrician.

To give you abit of a background story. I've been working In the i.t environment for a number of years, but I have been recently considering a career change. I am bored of I.t now and Ive always wanted to be a qualified electrician. I do have some knowledge of electrical circuits from fixing pcbs and various electronics.

I recently found this company that would do a fast track course at a cost of a grand -vat. I am highly doubtful of these courses as I know it takes more than 8 days to be a spark. Haha.

I am 31 and wouldn't be in the position to go back to college full time. I could do a night course, if it were availible. I've just stumbled across this forum tonight and would love to hear some feedback.

Thanks for reading.

Yeah, I've kind of thought about that aspect. I dont know anyone that would take me on. Most sparks tend to go out on their own, but it would be worth asking a few mates to see if they knew anyone that could take me on.

Really would help you...as they always say you will learn more doing the job ...and never be afraid of asking questions even if they seem stupid...i used to bombard my boss with them everyday

There are lots of different aspects to the electrical industry, don't just think it revolves around a single sparky working in houses.
Apprenticeships are the best way in, failing that then three years or so of evening college while you try and get work as an electrical labourer/mate (through friends, or contacting a few hundred electrical firms or even agencies) is the other way in. It is the practical experience that really counts and it takes years to really be a skilled electrician.

Yeah, it is definitely a skilled trade that cannot be taught overnight. I think these "fast-track" companies are just out to teach the basics, but me being technically minded I wouldn't fancy fitting plug sockets the rest of my life. Haha. I have reached out to jobcentres and stuff. So maybe they can put me in touch with people to go down the right channels, highly doubtful but anything is up for grabs atm.

Just a thought, but is there a way of sitting some exams and then finding an apprenticeship?

If you are more technically minded then perhaps controls and instrumentation might be worth considering especially if you have programming experience.
Edit Kenny beat me to it.

I dont have major programming experience. I currently a website supprt technician, so I've only ever modified pre written scripts that allows me to migrate emails and databases. Its interesting to know about that side of sparking though, I'd deffo look into that aswell.

Try enquiring for jobs at process facilities. If you manage to get an adult apprenticeship, there you learn about process in liquids or gas. The work will follow industrial electrical practices (which I consider the best) and would consist of interesting troubleshooting and programming that you would learn at college and on the job

Try enquiring for jobs at process facilities. If you manage to get an adult apprenticeship, there you learn about process in liquids or gas. The work will follow industrial electrical practices (which I consider the best) and would consist of interesting troubleshooting and programming that you would learn at college and on the job

This sounds quite interesting.

Thanks for the input guys. I really appreciate it. Anything else you might think that would be useful, links to websites, any resources at all to help me find out more about your suggestions. please send it my way.

Cheers
C

Thanks kennyken. I was literally updating my c.v tonight and have been scrolling indeed for electrician apprenticeships. Going to start bombarding agencies and employers to see how far I get. I've also made enquiries with some education authorities to see what they can offer. The journey begins :cool:.

apprenticeship wages are OK if you still live at home with parents. if you have a mortgage/rent, wife, kids, dog, then you could not survive. first to go would be the wife (hopefully taking the kids), then repossession, all you'd have left would be the dog and the clothes you're wearing. :(.

Sorry guys my posts were getting blocked as spam there.bit odd. I hear what your saying about the apprenticeships wages. It wouldn't be ideal, but looking at the big picture it gain me the experience needed to advance further in the field.

take thew courses by allmeans, but try to find employment as a sparks' mate, maybe with an agency, blagg it. mates wages are £10+ /hour. apprenticesip wages are around £3/hour.

Reply to Need advice on electrician course. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock