Discuss Need advice on fuseboard change... in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Can you borrow a tester from someone?

Sounds like you need to look at it with a fresh head and TEST your circuits, sounds like youve made a basic error somewhere.

I guess we have all made mistakes.

Can you borrow a tester from someone?

Sounds like you need to look at it with a fresh head and TEST your circuits, sounds like youve made a basic error somewhere.

I guess we have all made mistakes.

I have a megger , iv done IR tests on both circuits and they are clear. Not really sure what else I can do to test? Not much experience in it haha

not being funny here..but it sounds to me from the questions your asking you havn't got a clue what your doing. Leave it alone and get a qualified electrician to put it right.

Just to clarify, out of interest -

Are all the other circuits working alright (other than cooker and shower) or are these two the only ones you have 'tried'? - can't say tested.

Sorry if I've missed it if already mentioned.

With my busbar across the bottom that i put in to the terminations

You have cut it into two haven't you? Not just cut off the prongs.

you broke the golden rule - working on a sunday = trouble.

good learning curve though, i aint read the posts so not sure whats been discussed, i would advise if possible strip the board back out and start again adding a circuit at a time and carring out full range of tests on each circuit as you go untill you start to identify and rectify faults.

long way of doing it but perfect for experience.

I have a megger , iv done IR tests on both circuits and they are clear. Not really sure what else I can do to test? Not much experience in it haha

i suggest you get it sorted ASAP...
i dont care if you are an apprentice or a fully qualified electrician you should not be messing with things you have no idea about, you can kill somebody if not your self....!! and the fact you think its funny makes it even worse... grow up and take serious consideration what you have done.... and i dont care if i sound harsh but the trade can do with out 3rd year apprentices thinking they know it all...!

Just to clarify, out of interest -

Are all the other circuits working alright (other than cooker and shower) or are these two the only ones you have 'tried'? - can't say tested.

Sorry if I've missed it if already mentioned.

You have cut it into two haven't you? Not just cut off the prongs.

Yes everything else is fine.

you broke the golden rule - working on a sunday = trouble.

good learning curve though, i aint read the posts so not sure whats been discussed, i would advise if possible strip the board back out and start again adding a circuit at a time and carring out full range of tests on each circuit as you go untill you start to identify and rectify faults.

long way of doing it but perfect for experience.

Thats exactly what Iam going to do. The family Iam doing it for are on holiday for two weeks starting today so in no mad rush. Got all my testing notes looked out and going to take it all apart on tuesday afternoon and start from there.

i suggest you get it sorted ASAP...
i dont care if you are an apprentice or a fully qualified electrician you should not be messing with things you have no idea about, you can kill somebody if not your self....!! and the fact you think its funny makes it even worse... grow up and take serious consideration what you have done.... and i dont care if i sound harsh but the trade can do with out 3rd year apprentices thinking they know it all...!

At what point did I say I knew it all or have acted like I knew it all? And what have i done i need to give serious consideration to? Leaving a empty house with a consumer unit turned off in it ? Fair enough if your annoyed at me typeing "haha".

you have your neutrals mixed up. find your shower neutral plus your cooker neutral disconnected them,put them to one side power up make sure every thing works,

... Ones back thursday so he will be getting dragged round if there is still problems.
Will he be notifying this work on your behalf when he returns?

Edit: Crikey, just noticed you're in Glasgow, in that case I think you can screw it up as much as you like.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Need advice on fuseboard change... in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net