Discuss Need help finding a suitable product for capping off 70mm crimped lugs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
As the title suggests I have been tasked with finding something big and safe enough to hold a 5core 70mm cable with crimped lugs, it needs to be ip rated. The company are asking for it as the equipment they are connecting will need to be disconnected now and again. I was thinking maybe there might be a commando socket of some sort but I can't find any with this big of a current capacity. I would need it to be rated up to around 180amps.

Otherwise getting a big adaptable box of some sort and having some way of bolting the crimps seperately inside but i'm not sure how I would get the cable in and out with the crimps on and still keep the ip rating and to me this just sounds like a bit of a bodge job. Is there any product out there that might help?

Thanks

What type of cable(s)?

OK so here's an update, it's either going to be 70mm swa or 95mm NYY or equivalent, it sounds like their equipment has a door on it, the cable enters in between the actual unit and the door, the door is then shut on it and has a gasket which gives it the ip rating - (like the seals that form round a plug flex when you shut the cover of a domestic ip rated socket).

They want it to be able to be disconnected and the cable left with the lugs still crimped on, so I need some housing where I can safely dock these lugs and keep them apart from each other in case someone goes and turns this cable on.

Is there such a product out there?

Sounds a bit of a bodge to be tinkering with the main run of cable. If they don't want a plug and socket, could it be terminated in a box with 5 studs, then connected to the plant via a removable jumper cable? If that is glanded into a removable gland plate on the side of the joint box, the jumper could be removed complete with the plate and a blank plate put on instead.

I would terminate into a suitable grp buzz Bar enclosure with powersafe panne mount connectors and uses a set of single cables with the appropriate connectors as below

Attachments

• 27245570-8865-4805-B2C4-82E3E1915D2A.png
    910.9 KB · Views: 15

Reply to Need help finding a suitable product for capping off 70mm crimped lugs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net