Discuss Need help with a certain problem please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Mugen

Hi guys, I'm new here.
I'm from South Africa, Cape Town. Below is a device that I bought that came from America (if I remember correctly). It uses different 2 prong (thin flat rectangular) which we use here (long round). I bought an adapter for it.

This is what I bought: (https://raru.co.za/imports/us/produ...ps4-ps4?match=B00MXK8SGS&Color=YPBPR+Recorder) which is a game capture device I wanted to use with my consoles to record game play.

A few things I noticed that were odd:
1) If I put in only the power cable, the light which should be bright green is quite dim. Yet those on YouTube, their light shine bright.
2) If I put the cables in wrong (hdmi from console to output instead of input) the light shines bright green. But if I put it in the correct port the light stay dim.
3) I get no display on my tv even tho everything is plugged in the correct place.

Any help guys? Please... I've had this device for a month now and haven't gotten it to work even once.
Sorry that my technical terms isn't right.
Thank you for your time,
Mugen

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your response.

On the power supply:
Input: 100-240VAC 50/60Hz
Output: 5V 2000mA

The adapter I bought:
Uhh chinese words on it so I'm not sure what it says but these are the numbers:
250V
15A Max
1800w
50Hz

Anything else?

I've given you full permissions Mugen so you can now add pictures to your replies. Can you give us a picture of the power supply and the adapter you bought?

From the info you've given above the original power supply should work in Cape Town which is nominally 220v 50hz electrical supply so you'd only need an adapter to get it into a 2-pin type socket then another adapter to go to the 16A round pin socket.

Adapter 60906-schuko.jpg This would convert from the US plug to a normal 2-pin

Adapter schuko to BS546.jpg Then you need this to convert to the normal SA round pin 16A socket.

It's a bit messy and not ideal having 2 adapters but I don't know where you'd find a NEMA to BS546 in one go.

Last edited:
Yep, that adapter should work okay. Next step would be to either test the output of the power supply when it's under load or alternatively find another 5V DC 2000mA power supply and try the device with that one to see if it works.

Which part of Cape Town are you in?

Ah, I was going to suggest Communica in Woodstock but it's far from Elsies River. Maybe try Zakspeed in that case, I've never used them (I'm in Noordhoek) but they're close for you.

Reply to Need help with a certain problem please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net