Discuss Nest Thermostat - vacation home setting - hot water / heating in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

carloria

DIY
Reaction score
Dear community,

as the Pro Nest are too fare away from my place in Italy, I am seeking here for advice. The actual work will be done then by my local electrician - I am a DIY.

Goal: I want to install a Nest 3rd generation learning thermostat (not the thermostat E) including heat link to my old heater in a way that I can remotely turn on the central heating without having all the time hot water running (it is a vacation home so I will be often there not for a month or so - but some days before arriving I want to turn on the heating).

current setup:
oil fired heater with two switches (one is on/off the other one is summer(only hot water)/winter (hot water and heating) incl. an internal 30l water tank
heater has five cables (L, N, PE and two cables to/from the separate thermostat - see below) - there is the possibility to connect a sixth cable ("segnalatore di blocco" - "lock indicator")
separate thermostat on 240V (two cables to the central heater and two to an very old modem to switch the heater on/off over the phone)
The thermostat and the old modem will be taken away.
see pictures

Questions:
Preferable setup: how needs the heat link to be wired with the heater that via the Nest thermostat I can turn
a) the central heating AND hot water off, or
b) turn only the hot water on, or
c) turn the central heating AND hot water on
I guess in this case the switch on the heater would have to be on winter mode all the time

Alternative setup: how needs the heat link to be wired with the heater that via the Nest thermostat I can turn the central heating on and off but the hot water will be on all the time? If this is only possible, I will install the heater to a DECT power socket to switch on/off the whole system remotely.

Thanks a lot for any comments!

Carl

Attachments

• Nest Thermostat - vacation home setting - hot water / heating IMG_7387 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_7387.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Nest Thermostat - vacation home setting - hot water / heating IMG_7388 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_7388.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Nest Thermostat - vacation home setting - hot water / heating IMG_7402 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_7402.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Nest Thermostat - vacation home setting - hot water / heating IMG_7403 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_7403.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 7
You will get a page like this Nest Thermostat - vacation home setting - hot water / heating Nest tem - EletriciansForums.net my details blanked, it should show weather as you can see raining today and if either system is running CH or DHW and clicking on the CH or DHW you can change the settings, so in my case DHW runs 5 days a week for 1/2 hour, the CH detects where my wife's and my phone are, and as we get close, auto switches on the heating if required.

Nest Thermostat - vacation home setting - hot water / heating Nest hotwater - EletriciansForums.netMy hot water is set on the computer, as to when it runs, I can't have central heating without hot water due to way the oil boiler is plumbed, but can have hot water without central heating, I have no tank thermostat and 1/2 hour is shortest time programmable, so I have found in summer 5 days a week keeps it hot enough, but this is down to how boiler is plumbed not Nest.

Reply to Nest Thermostat - vacation home setting - hot water / heating in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock