Discuss New 2.9kw oven connection in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thanks, I will get a NHXB16 MCB, and see if it fits without forcing anything. At least according to TLC it should be a direct replacement for the NSB range. I will update once I've tried with that MCB.
Give Electrium/Wylex Technical a ring on Monday but ask them colour of din rail clip on back.

It's an oven, so unlikely to cause an overload and it is therefore reasonable to omit overcurrent protection.
Is a short length of 1.5mm flex going to be protected against a short circuit fault by a 32-A MCB?
I think so, otherwise there would have been a lot of blown 1mm and 1.5mm cpcs on spurs from ring circuits in the days before RCDs, but I'll leave it to the proper electricians to discuss...

I agree with M-Ty in certain respects. The oven will have a fixed load, well almost. The manufacture has supplied the oven with suitably sized cable , with a suitable ccc for the max load. Why can't the OP just terminate the flex in the cooker outlet?

The MCB in the CU, has been designed and installed to protect the final circuit, not the appliance. As there is unlikely to be an overload, the 32A mcb will quite happily look after a short circuit.

Or is my thinking incorrect?

now who said they are the same.

20180113_101149.jpg

20180113_101157.jpg

You are correct, it doesn't fit properly. Any ideas where I could source an NSB16 MCB that is definitely not one of the dodgy ones, or is it acceptable to use the NSB32 with a 20amp flex outlet plate and the 1.5 mm flex?

My money is on the latter.

You have a 32A mcb, 6mm dedicated cooker radial, 45A isolation switch and a cooker connection unit?

I would connect the manufactures supplied flex into the connection unit. The appliances has a maximum fixed load (2900w approx. 12A), for which it has supplied a suitable sized flex 1.5mm (ccc 16A). The appliance does not require overload protection, and the 32A mcb will deal with any short circuit protection.

Yes that's right, 32amp MCB, 6mm and cooker switch.
Would it be acceptable to use the 20amp flex outlet plate with the 32amp MCB? I'd prefer doing this as there are separate terminals for the flex and T&E, instead of a single terminal for both on the CCU.

I'd not disagree with leaving it connected to the existing setup, no issue with that.However given the small cost and limited effort I'd replace the 32a mcb for a 16 as a preference but not a necessity.

Yes there was a CCU in place, with 2x6mm connected to it. 6mm does fit easily into the 20amp flex outlet, and I'd prefer it if it is acceptable as there are separate terminals for the flex and T&E.

Yes there was a CCU in place, with 2x6mm connected to it. 6mm does fit easily into the 20amp flex outlet, and I'd prefer it if it is acceptable as there are separate terminals for the flex and T&E.

You could use one of these, its for connecting two appliances, but you could use it in your case, although most use a CCU for one appliance no probs;

45 Amp Dual Appliance / Cooker Outlet Plate - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/AA45DCOP.html?source=adwords&ad_position=1o5&ad_id=45425533757&placement=&kw=&network=g&matchtype=&ad_type=pla&product_id=AA45DCOP&product_partition_id=174048872227&test=finalurl_v2&gclid=Cj0KCQiA-ebSBRC8ARIsAGuxJIqOA-szO9na8yrai5EJEuFqK2xRH7yxYRHrTsVsKpk8DzqG3GxzH6oaAkFjEALw_wcB

Reply to New 2.9kw oven connection in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net