Discuss New 2.9kw oven connection in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Its up to you, I'm getting bit lost now. You had a conventional ccu, but want to use a flex outlet. Whats wrong with the old ccu?
think he's concerned about getting 1.5mm flex to make a good connection in terminals designed for 6.0mm/10.0mm 7 strand.

whatever... if he don't get a shift on, dinner will be salad.

Sorry for confusion, reason I did not want to use the CCU was because I would have to put the flex, and 6mm T&E into the same terminals, which doesn't give a very good connection. Hence why I'd prefer the 20 amp flex outlet.

I expect there are thousands of electric cookers connected up, using the flex & 6mm T&E combo, with no issues. You could get some boot lace ferrules if its gonna give you sleepless nights, or go with your flex outlet.

I'd not disagree with leaving it connected to the existing setup, no issue with that.However given the small cost and limited effort I'd replace the 32a mcb for a 16 as a preference but not a necessity.

I don't understand why though?
Simply because I prefer the protective device to be the nearest rating to the load. You'll often find appliance manufactures specify fuse ratings for their appliances as well, and despite the OCPD being there to protect the cable their instructions have precedence.

This post is going around in circles since I posted last.cooker outlet/20A flex outlet. Just wait until Monday and you will know 100% from Electrium/Wylex.If you can't buy a new replacement there are online places that do discontinued MCB's if on ebay just watch out for fakes.

Simply because I prefer the protective device to be the nearest rating to the load. You'll often find appliance manufactures specify fuse ratings for their appliances as well, and despite the OCPD being there to protect the cable their instructions have precedence.

'We' should take account of their instructions; I don't know how one would benefit from altering the circuit, as suggested, in these circumstances. The ocpd in the CU, is for the final circuit protection, not for an appliance.

If the oven manufacturer stated this oven must be protected a by a certain size ocpd, then fair enough. But the majority of oven manufacturers instructions, I've read do not. If the appliance is supplied with a connecting cable, then it would be suitable to carry the maximum load. There must be smaller csa wires inside an oven, that would not benefit from a 13A fuse.

I suspect the requirement to a 3A fuse, is to prevent the frying of a fans pcb, I might be wrong. But in this instance, the fan manufacturer requires a lower rated fuse, then that must be taken into account.

"pot" and "kettle" come to mind. :D:D:D

I often get pulled up for my mistakes, just trying to share the love.

Orrrffhh to construct tonight's tea. Turning last nights chilli con carnie, into lasagne, with lashings of wine and wee drams. Tomorrow this will all be forgotten, and we can turn it into another love in. :eek:

... If the appliance is supplied with a connecting cable, then it would be suitable to carry the maximum load. There must be smaller csa wires inside an oven ...
Correct !
I had an double oven and grill to relocate the other day (name deleted) that manufacturer's instruction was 6mm cable to be used. I had a quick look at the innards and it was running off 2 by 1mm feeds. I hooked up my 6mm, confident it was not the weakest link :) .

I'm kinda surprised at the likes, dislikes etc to my posts. Its not like its rocket science. I'm not preaching no more than what's said been before. 'll say no more. I'm off to bed

I'm kinda surprised at the likes, dislikes etc to my posts. Its not like its rocket science. I'm not preaching no more than what's said been before. 'll say no more. I'm off to bed
i 4 1 ain't give you a disagree whatever. me tired too so it's goodnite from me, and goodnite from him.:D

It's an oven, so unlikely to cause an overload and it is therefore reasonable to omit overcurrent protection.
Is a short length of 1.5mm flex going to be protected against a short circuit fault by a 32-A MCB?
I think so, otherwise there would have been a lot of blown 1mm and 1.5mm cpcs on spurs from ring circuits in the days before RCDs, but I'll leave it to the proper electricians to discuss...

Couldn’t agree more. Why all this farting about swapping OCPDs.

Reply to New 2.9kw oven connection in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net