Discuss new kitchen wiring nightmare, please help! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

le'deps

Hello folks, I have a problem, we're having a new kitchen & last weekend everything was ripped out & of course the wiring is not what it needs to be. I am an extreme novice at this stuff but I had our kitchen fitter come round & advise me on what to do & so I have channelled out where the cables need to be & am planning to lay the cables so they can be plastered over & connected up by an electrician when the kitchen is fitted on monday *panics*

The problem is that now I have channeled where we decided between us (me & the fitter) was best I have a new problem. To the left of the main power source (no.1 on pic) right along the side of the socket box, is the gas pipe, which goes up the wall from point 5 on the pic, so the channelling (no.6) that i've done to the left of that source I now can't use, that was supposed to be the feed for the oven (with 6mm cable).

So now the only way round it that I can see is if I go to the right of that main source & down parallel to point 3 on the pic, which will power the cooker hood & comes off the socket to the far right of the pic (point 4). But i'm wondering if there is some safety reason that I can't do that & that is why it wasn't suggested by our fitter. Is it ok to have two cables running side by side like that? I can't see why not, but I know nothing. Anyway, please help, I have hardly any time to sort this

p.s we did consider raising up the main power source a bit so it would sit inside a cupboard & wouldn't have to be sunk into the wall so it could run over the top of the gas pipe with no channelling required, but the we realised there won't be a cupboard there, it'll be the splashback, so that source (no.1) needs to be flush

wiring.jpg

I agree with Murdoch, get a Sparky in now, with all due respect to Kevin the kitchen fitter, what you have chased out looks like a right pigs ear, do yourself a favour, speak to a Sparky before you go any further

I see cock ups like this all the time. Kev the kitchen fitter botches it because he cuts corners.

You have committed to a nice shiney kitchen so why skimp on the electrics?

I'm guessing you wouldn't build a house without foundations!

I see cock ups like this all the time. Kev the kitchen fitter botches it because he cuts corners.

You have committed to a nice shiney kitchen so why skimp on the electrics?

I'm guessing you wouldn't build a house without foundations!

Kev the corner cutting kitchen fitter, Murdoch's right all Kev want's is his money for fitting the kitchen

Thanks folks. Hopefully it's not quite as bad as it looks, anything that's scribbled out is old wiring that was already in place (including the odd diagonal cable running from the power to the old cooker) but i'll get it checked out.

another cock up though! where i've chiseled out for the plug sockets, it's pretty uneven & a bit oversized, is there a good way to pack out the holes so the boxes fit properly? (sorry, no completely electrical that one, but i'm losing my mind here)

I see a balls up in the making, your spending good money on a nice kitchen, and scrimping on the thing that could kill you or members of your family, you say that you intend to "get the wiring checked out, please get the electricians in now, save yourself heartache later.

Thanks again. please don't think i'm asking for advice & not taking it, I do value your help. I just want to be sure that we completely understand each other first, because getting a separate electrician in at this point is 1. going to be extremely difficult because everyone seems to be booked up well in advance & we're on a tight schedule 2. yes, we've paid for a kitchen & we're saving for a wedding & to be honest, we just don't have anything left over. If it's absolutely necessary I will do it because I'm not that big a moron & I know how dangerous electricity is.

So, with that said, the plan at the moment is for a qualified electrician to come with the fitter on monday & nothing will be connected up until then. Obviously we will have to plaster over the channelling, but all electrical connections will be made & checked by a qualified electrician. If it is impossible for that electrician to know if the work is safe by testing at the connections & he needs to access the wires which will by that point be behind plaster, then I will have to get someone in, somehow. I'm just hoping that he will be able to check it & either say "sorry the plaster has to come off" or "that's fine", I mean, if electricians need access to the whole hidden cable, how do they come in to properties to check the wiring without taking half the wall covering off?

Anyway, if i'm wrong & this cannot be done my way then I will accept your advice, I just needed to explain myself again, I wan't everything to be clear, because it is a big decision & a difficult situation

Once again thanks for your replies so far

Can't see a sparky signing off the work you have done yourself, he/she would be opening a can of worms for themselves. Yes it can be tested, and more than likely some of the results will be satisfactory.

Are you intending to install a ring circuit for the sockets? how are you wiring any cooker, w/machine etc, these circuits need to be designed and installed properly, any spark worth his salt would wash his hands and walk if the wiring is a botch job, with all due respect Kevin will not know how to do this, and sorry to say the advice he has or will give you will be no good, I am not going to repeat myself because I get the impression you have already made your mind up to do it yourself, oh by the way this work is notifiable, by that I mean the LABC will need to inspect it, good luck on the wedding front

There was nothing in my post that implied i'd made up my mind, I went out of my way to explain otherwise. Please don't assume to know my state of mind, I said I appreciate your advice & I also said, if that's what has to be done, that's what i'll do.

Because i'm pretty reasonable & as previously mentioned not a moron, i'll take your advice & get someone in, but even more people would probably take your advice if you weren't so presumtuous & slightly standoffish as you were in the latter half of that reply.

Anyway, thanks again

Thanks again. please don't think i'm asking for advice & not taking it, I do value your help. I just want to be sure that we completely understand each other first, because getting a separate electrician in at this point is 1. going to be extremely difficult because everyone seems to be booked up well in advance & we're on a tight schedule 2. yes, we've paid for a kitchen & we're saving for a wedding & to be honest, we just don't have anything left over. If it's absolutely necessary I will do it because I'm not that big a moron & I know how dangerous electricity is.

So, with that said, the plan at the moment is for a qualified electrician to come with the fitter on monday & nothing will be connected up until then. Obviously we will have to plaster over the channelling, but all electrical connections will be made & checked by a qualified electrician. If it is impossible for that electrician to know if the work is safe by testing at the connections & he needs to access the wires which will by that point be behind plaster, then I will have to get someone in, somehow. I'm just hoping that he will be able to check it & either say "sorry the plaster has to come off" or "that's fine", I mean, if electricians need access to the whole hidden cable, how do they come in to properties to check the wiring without taking half the wall covering off?

Anyway, if i'm wrong & this cannot be done my way then I will accept your advice, I just needed to explain myself again, I wan't everything to be clear, because it is a big decision & a difficult situation

Once again thanks for your replies so far

Muppet.

When Electricians certify work, that they design, install, and test -they do exactly that based on the knowledge of what they have done.

Subsequent inspections are different and hence why the paperwork/certification is different.

By all means chop in your boxes where you want them, as long as in safe sensible working positions. Re your question fixing boxes because you have chopped hole too deep. Either pack box out with something solid and or mix up some plaster / cement, put in hole and set box into it. That will hold it in position. When dry drill and rawlplug it with suitable fixings. Best advice though is get an electrician in NOW who will advise you what to do before he/she arrives. Electrician might appreciate you wanting to do some of the donkey work.

Reply to new kitchen wiring nightmare, please help! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net