Discuss new member and query with fluke test leads in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

bristolsparky

Hi all my name is mike and i have just joined the forum i am after some advice...
i have a fluke 1652 tester which i have just bought but without test leads i have heard alot of bad things about flukes old test leads and i want to go niceic soon and dont want anything tripping me up on my assessment any input will be greatly appreciated!!!

Hi & welcome.:)

Hi Mike, welcome to the forum, it seems that most of the standard leads that are supplied with the MFT's (Megger especially) are poor quality.

These leads are very good and compliant with the 'new' G7 standard: Kewtech ACC065 G7 Non-Fused 3 Wire Multifunction Test Leads
Just wanted to say thank you. Picked up some for my 1651, (Kewtec but rebranded by West Wilts Electrical (£42+vat)) they work brilliantly! No more holding the clips to get a steady reading :)
Anyone know if I should also get some fused ones? - I'm confused if these are needed for the live tests - I'm not bothered but have an assesment coming up at the end of the month.

Hello mate ive got the same problem i was wondering if you could give me some advice i spoke to fluke regarding using non fused test leads for live and dead testing they seem to think there fine to use with a fluke 1652 do u know if this is correct do you use non fused leads with your fluke for live testing just wanna know before i open the pack and then wont get refund cheers

It is Fluke's opinion that in applications using Fluke name brand instruments, fused test probes provide little if any added protection. Fluke's primary concern is that fused test probes may result in serious shock hazard do to a false voltage reading. A more effective solution is a meter properly designed to handle overload conditions. For the Amp and milliamp functions, Fluke meters incorporate a specifically designed and tested fuse that is effective to 1000 Volts as the full breaking capacity of the system which limits the energy in a manner that is as effective as a fuse located within a test probe.

It is additionally Fluke's position that a fused test probe is potentially more hazardous when used with any DMM for the following reason. It is estimated that over 90% of most electrician measurements use the AC VOLTS functions of a meter. Current measures are generally less than 10%, more probably in the few percentage points. If the fuse in the test probe is damaged and not noticed or properly corrected, then false voltage measurements will occur which potentially create a shock hazard for the user.

For Fluke meters, a damaged fuse within the amps function of the meter does not affect voltage measurements, so the potential of shock hazard due to false readings is eliminated. Note that for the other meter functions such as ohms, Fluke meters are designed to prevent hazard for overload conditions equivalent the maximum AC volts input as stated on the meter. These functions limit the energy by impedance. This opinion on fused test leads is limited to, an only applies to their use when used with Fluke brand test instruments

The above was taken off another forum a couple of years ago when like all sparks you get to talking and fused leads was a topic that came up. When a college brought this in, it was granted off an American site, but we contacted Fluke in the UK who asked us to send this to them. They advised us that indeed they agreed with this, and all Fluke meteres in the UK would be ok to use.

As for the GS 38 well it does indeed say that Probes need to be fused, which I suppose can be construed as the leads ...........

HSE GS38, 9(iii) states Test probes and leads... "should have suitable high breaking capacity (hbc), sometimes known as hrc, fuse or fuses, with a low current rating (usually not exceeding 500mA), or a current-limiting resistor and a fuse".
HSE allow manufacturers to incorporate the current-limiting resistor and fuse into the instrument, in which case it is OK to use un-fused leads and in the case of the Fluke 15xx series the manufacturers specification.

Reply to new member and query with fluke test leads in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net