Discuss New outlet does not have enough power in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Nitzey

DIY
Reaction score
I installed a new GFI outlet in our bathroom for our new electric toilet. To do this I cut wires to the exhaust fan and added new wires to the new outlet. The three wires, from the breaker, to the exhaust fan, to the new outlet, were joined together with wire nuts. #12 gage wire. When all the functions on the new toilet did not work, I called the manufacturer. He told me to try a hair dryer in the new outlet and sure enough it did not work. A device with a light load, a small fan, works fine. Interesting if I turn on the exhaust fan, the fan turns off. Also, the new GFI outlet reads 120V but zero if the exhaust fan is on. I am going to have to tear the wall apart after having painstakingly repaired it. I don't quite understand all this.

I installed a new GFI outlet in our bathroom for our new electric toilet. To do this I cut wires to the exhaust fan and added new wires to the new outlet. The three wires, from the breaker, to the exhaust fan, to the new outlet, were joined together with wire nuts. #12 gage wire. When all the functions on the new toilet did not work, I called the manufacturer. He told me to try a hair dryer in the new outlet and sure enough it did not work. A device with a light load, a small fan, works fine. Interesting if I turn on the exhaust fan, the fan turns off. Also, the new GFI outlet reads 120V but zero if the exhaust fan is on. I am going to have to tear the wall apart after having painstakingly repaired it. I don't quite understand all this.
You are not going to have to tear your wall down. It sounds to me like you have crossed some wiring. First off you stated that you pulled a cable from the fan/ light for a GFCI receptacle. All the blacks and whites at the fan should have stayed together and then tie your new cable with them also. The GFCI will not work unless you hook the wires up to the line side of the GFCI. Could you please take some pictures of your receptacle and fan wiring

You are not going to have to tear your wall down. It sounds to me like you have crossed some wiring. First off you stated that you pulled a cable from the fan/ light for a GFCI receptacle. All the blacks and whites at the fan should have stayed together and then tie your new cable with them also. The GFCI will not work unless you hook the wires up to the line side of the GFCI. Could you please take some pictures of your receptacle and fan wiring

Attachments

• 94B89DB7-36DB-4D34-B35E-6B61B5BD5D1B.jpeg
    317.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 1C92B576-EED6-434D-90E1-F2580A92FF7E.jpeg
    329.3 KB · Views: 12
  • FA3CC42A-3ACA-41C8-9F8F-BEB9EC87053C.jpeg
    337.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 1F788D2E-8E4D-4063-9426-F45E311601E7.jpeg
    327.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 63F438CB-137D-4C96-A565-F8D42FB30A03.jpeg
    332.7 KB · Views: 13
. You shouldn’t have to wrap wires around the screws. and are you sure that you wired your GFCI on the line side and not the load. It’s stamped on the back

. You shouldn’t have to wrap wires around the screws. and are you sure that you wired your GFCI on the line side and not the load. It’s stamped on the back
I am sick of the hassle of wrapping wires around the screws and so installed spade terminals. Just now. I think the wires were connected properly to the line side. Used Ancor terminals; they are excellent.

Attachments

• 884ECAC2-08EA-4C07-97FE-ECAB944BD5A7.jpeg
    281.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 33703415-E880-461F-B701-C99D69FFB842.jpeg
    427.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 7C65E29D-AA3A-4B1E-897E-C961E5CC2598.jpeg
    257 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3047.MOV
    984.7 KB
I am sick of the hassle of wrapping wires around the screws and so installed spade terminals. Just now. I think the wires were connected properly to the line side. Used Ancor terminals; they are excellent.
I have discovered the problem and fixed it. Although the wiring is simple I had managed to screw it up. But now repaired and everything works great.

Reply to New outlet does not have enough power in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net