Discuss New Trades Career in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Let's try keep this thread. So be mindful of how we say things in it.

I'm about to install a news / blog to the forum (have done it on the other two) and this is a big area I want plenty of advice articles about.

We have seen these companies come and go over the years but the directors or usually connected. And usually end up in Scotland so you can't sue without losing even more money through travel and accomodation etc

Not saying this company is one of them. But it sounds exactly the bloody same to me I can't believe there are still such companies around.

This training firms and those "pay us 5 grand and we will send you work" firms all need some clever blogging done about them. Ones I will stand behind in court.

We are hosted in France, managed in Italy, and I am subbed out to the forum for web work only. ;)

It's operated from a country out of their remit. They can't take me anywhere and get a penny from me.
It is a scam college, they have ripped me off, as the course can't exist because the college doesn't. Only the finance company exists! My mistake was in not asking for the address of the training centres across the UK, if I had asked that I would have found out the lie earlier. Now I'm thousands in debt and homeless because of them!

Always gather the money somehow and PAY by credit card . This way you would have lost very little . Its the reason I use credit cards. I never need any credit as i pay off 100% every bill. But I want the protection

Update:

I have failed my pre-workshop healthy and safety test 3 times now. I have “cheated” and done it with books in front of me and googling every answer which I didn’t know. I’m starting to believe that the HS test is made to be failed or this is a huge scam…
Would like some feedback from anyone that has managed to pass this…or not. Thanks

So I've been in a course with New Trades Career for the past 3-4 months now (where the headquarters are based in Basildon, Essex). I have payed the £180 twice over these months now. In this time I have completed Section 1 Part A Domestic Electrical Installer (6 modules) and am now on Part B of Section One's Domestic Installer. In terms of their service I've actually not had any issues so far. They mark the assessments within due time and literally sent out the second book the day after they marked the final assessment of the previous book. The tutors generally answer the phone and are helpful so far as I can tell. Yes it is hard to understand the book sometimes but a lot of people forget that the book itself tells you that they expect you to not just study from the book but use external sources and research as well as trying to do some practical work yourself if you can or as they like to say 'so far as is reasonably practicable'. It's not very easy understanding electrics even if you have a book designed to help you understand electrics. There is only so much you can understand from theory and any electrician will tell you this. If you don't know anyone that does electrics that you can work as a mate with then there's dozens of videos on things like youtube that will help you understand it by showing you practically how to do the task you want to know. For example I had trouble understanding differences between the different types of Earthing arrangements (TN, TN-S etc) and this guy on youtube called 'GSH Electrical' and he explained it sufficiently. A combination of thorough studying of the modules and getting my own basic circuit board with some basic tools (meaning all the essential electrician tools) and working on that (also watching youtube videos) and I was eventually able to understand 95% of the modules. It takes some enthusiasm and motivation to want to learn as well especially when you sometimes feel like the company is just gonna rob you at the end after reading everyone else's scam stories lol. I've passed all the modules first try by scoring 80%+ apart from health and safety module which I passed 2nd time (got 70% first time which was fail). Now although I haven't done much of the course I will say that it's not entirely a scam. They may not have the best service and may use sly sale tactics to get you in but if you could care less about all that as well as their book not being the easiest to understand and have full dedication because you've failed at everything in life like me then it's all you should need to get you to know enough so that even if they do mug you off you've got some knowledge under your belt at least which might be helpful to you later on. I won't have any high hopes about it being the most trustworthy and maybe I might see more cracks later in the company's course but I'll throw those cracks back in their face by learning the best I can so if push comes to shove, I can tell the courts that I put my upmost effort in and studied and completed all that they ask. It's either that, or eventually I'll work around what ever and make my way to the end as a fully qualified electrician provided push doesn't come to shove and their apparently poor service doesn't halt my progression completely. I'm not trying to invalidate anyone's experiences here and all things that have been mentioned here are quite a red flag for this company to be honest I'm just saying they're not entirely scammers is all.

Sorry if I’m a bit sceptical, but I am.

If this is true brilliant for you. However many others have not had this experience.

if you where a member of the forum for longer than 1 minute with a bit of background in contributions to this site I may be a bit more believing.

there was another poster on this thread who blatantly lied to us. in his profile it stated he was a lecturer. In the thread he said he was a student. When this was mentioned to him the lies grew.
He was blatantly a lecturer giving a false review of a company claiming to be a student.

I apologise if I’m wrong, but you can’t blame me for being sceptical considering what has transpired before.

Sorry if I’m a bit sceptical, but I am.

If this is true brilliant for you. However many others have not had this experience.

if you where a member of the forum for longer than 1 minute with a bit of background in contributions to this site I may be a bit more believing.

there was another poster on this thread who blatantly lied to us. in his profile it stated he was a lecturer. In the thread he said he was a student. When this was mentioned to him the lies grew.
He was blatantly a lecturer giving a false review of a company claiming to be a student.

I apologise if I’m wrong, but you can’t blame me for being sceptical considering what has transpired before.
wow man. your comment here has actually just made me more skeptical. i joined here because i wanted to know more about new trades career as other forums echo some of the concerns on here too and seeing some comments on here saying it is a complete scam i just wanted people to know that it isn't a complete scam but it does look like there's a lot of fishy business too by the looks of it. i just wanted everyone to know what my experience was too in order to contribute to people who would want some advice on this. if there's anything i can show you to prove my legitimacy i will. i just need advice and thats my purpose for joining this site. only time will tell.

wow man. your comment here has actually just made me more skeptical. i joined here because i wanted to know more about new trades career as other forums echo some of the concerns on here too and seeing some comments on here saying it is a complete scam i just wanted people to know that it isn't a complete scam but it does look like there's a lot of fishy business too by the looks of it. i just wanted everyone to know what my experience was too in order to contribute to people who would want some advice on this. if there's anything i can show you to prove my legitimacy i will. i just need advice and thats my purpose for joining this site. only time will tell.
read this full thread. Then come back and say if you agree with me and others.
would you have started the course if you had read this thread first? Answer should be no. But I will let you answer for yourself.

You may well end up with the quals on paper but it won’t automatically mean anyone will employ you as an electrician, experience is everything in the commercial/industrial area I’m afraid, as above these short courses allow you work domestically but even then with no previous experience you’ll need to take it very slowly, obviously all education is good and please believe me I’m not trying to put anyone off here, I’m a domestic installer myself albeit alongside other trade quals, it is possible to make a living and change trades and there’s some very good electricians on here who have taken the same route you have and are testament to that ?
Hi, sorry to jump into the conversation on a tangent. I'm 40 and looking at career change to electrician (I know its a bit late) I'm not looking to go into the commercial side for mega money, more happy to be my own boss on domestic side. I came on here primarily as I was considering signing up for course with Access Training, glad I did a bit of digging beforehand! College route seems to be more sensible now. Baddegg, as a domestic installer what advice would you give as to my best route? Many thanks for any help you can give. Ben

You may well end up with the quals on paper but it won’t automatically mean anyone will employ you as an electrician, experience is everything in the commercial/industrial area I’m afraid, as above these short courses allow you work domestically but even then with no previous experience you’ll need to take it very slowly, obviously all education is good and please believe me I’m not trying to put anyone off here, I’m a domestic installer myself albeit alongside other trade quals, it is possible to make a living and change trades and there’s some very good electricians on here who have taken the same route you have and are testament to that ?
Hi, sorry to jump into the conversation on a tangent. I'm 40 and looking at career change to electrician (I know its a bit late) I'm not looking to go into the commercial side for mega money, more happy to be my own boss on domestic side. I came on here primarily as I was considering signing up for course with Access Training, glad I did a bit of digging beforehand! College route seems to be more sensible now. Baddegg, as a domestic installer what advice would you give as to my best route? Many thanks for any help you can give. Ben

Also. Search Access Training on here. I used them and was not impressed. Also there are a few changes afoot re ‘domestic’ sparks. Go the college route. Also check with the comp person schemes as to qualification requirements. Have fun.

Good advice from those above.
I retrained when I was 35.

long story short….

3 years at college.

year 2 and 3 did some works with qualified sparkies.

then got job with a Company with experienced guys so learnt from them a bit.

from start to finish 5 years before I felt reasonably confident I could do a half decent job.

then I went self employed domestic.
This was when the real learning really started.

so five years of non or little wages before you start to feel confident. You must get onsite experience. Without it you will be lost. The colleges don’t teach you everything in a classroom. They can’t. It’s impossible. So it will be up to you to put yourself out there and get experience Working along side sparkies.

we get a lot of people complaining I’ve wasted 3 years at college. I can’t get a job.
the college won’t get you a job. You have to take responsibility for that. You put yourself out there.

sorry I haven’t pulled any punches, but it needs to be said.

I will also say if your serious, go for it . I did and I made a real success of it.
I worked hard, long hours and got really good and gained a fantastic reputation. I did every little course going to improve myself so I never stopped educating myself.

I traded for 8 years self employed and made ridiculous money. Just retired 7 months ago at age of 49 on the back of it.
got myself a little job maintenance At the local zoo. Loving it. No pressure.

best thing I ever did, but make no mistakes it’s hard work getting there. The rewards are worth it if you have what it takes.

Just thought i'd dive in to say this one thing: there is no 'mega money' in the commercial side unless you are running the job. All the big money is in the domestic side as in the commercial game you're limited by what people are paying, which is crap. Just look at JIB rates as a starting point - must have every qualification going, experience, be time served, carry all your own tools and generally tick every single box - £16 odd an hour. Garbage.

Last edited:
Good advice from those above.
I retrained when I was 35.

long story short….

3 years at college.

year 2 and 3 did some works with qualified sparkies.

then got job with a Company with experienced guys so learnt from them a bit.

from start to finish 5 years before I felt reasonably confident I could do a half decent job.

then I went self employed domestic.
This was when the real learning really started.

so five years of non or little wages before you start to feel confident. You must get onsite experience. Without it you will be lost. The colleges don’t teach you everything in a classroom. They can’t. It’s impossible. So it will be up to you to put yourself out there and get experience Working along side sparkies.

we get a lot of people complaining I’ve wasted 3 years at college. I can’t get a job.
the college won’t get you a job. You have to take responsibility for that. You put yourself out there.

sorry I haven’t pulled any punches, but it needs to be said.

I will also say if your serious, go for it . I did and I made a real success of it.
I worked hard, long hours and got really good and gained a fantastic reputation. I did every little course going to improve myself so I never stopped educating myself.

I traded for 8 years self employed and made ridiculous money. Just retired 7 months ago at age of 49 on the back of it.
got myself a little job maintenance At the local zoo. Loving it. No pressure.

best thing I ever did, but make no mistakes it’s hard work getting there. The rewards are worth it if you have what it takes.
Don't apologise for not pulling any punches! Thats the info that is the most valuable.
Yeah, was expecting to be eating through my savings for the first 3 years, but got to accept that to get where I want to.
Which courses did you do initially? I have been looking at the Electrical Installation levels 1 and 2 diplomas and guess if the 18th Edition isnt part of that I would need that too. Would I also need the NVQ Level 3 in Electrotechnical Services with the AM2 Assessment as a domestic installer, or is that for if you are going into the commercial side?
Hoping that my age wont be a massive problem. May be an advantage in terms of getting some hands on experience if I ask all the local firms if I can shadow someone, hopefully more likely to think that I am going to turn up everyday and want to be there.
Sorry to be asking more questions, just want to make sure I begin on the correct path.
Thanks to everyone who replied

Which courses did you do initially? I have been looking at the Electrical Installation levels 1 and 2 diplomas and guess if the 18th Edition isnt part of that I would need that too. Would I also need the NVQ Level 3 in Electrotechnical Services with the AM2 Assessment as a domestic installer, or is that for if you are going into the commercial side?
There is nothing stopping you working anywhere anyhow you like, with no qualifications. You don't 'need' any of them to work for yourself especially. You don't need them to work for someone else but they often demand them.

The 'fully qualified' thing isn't real, but the standard 'full set' i guess you could call it would be:

Level 3 qualification
NVQ3
AM2
18th Edition
Testing and Inspection

That would be the minimum someone would usually expect for you to go earn 'time served' rates on site although not always. Again, you can work quite fine with all, some, or none of the above.

Really to feel comfortable and to actually know what you're doing you need experience and it can't be bought or rushed. I'd concentrate on getting work alongside someone.

Last edited:

Reply to New Trades Career in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net