Discuss NIC Part P Assessment & The Building Control Authority in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Splext

Hi Guys, sorry is this has already been asked or if its in the wrong place. Have only just joined today :)

I recently completed my quals and am looking to register with NIC so I can notify and certify my own work.

I am planning on them assessing me on a board change I am doing at my mums (which will be my first job).

I got told by my instructor before I finished the course, that I should contact Building Control telling them I will be doing the work, and they should just say; OK, and leave it to the NIC to sort out through my assessment.

When I contacted Building control, they are asking for £200 to have someone 'watch me do the change, and then certify my work, so they can send the certificate out'.

Is that how it has to be done? I was under the impression that because the NIC are coming to check it for my assessment, I can write out the Cert's and they will then notify through them and I only have to pay one sign up fee to NIC and nothing to Building Control.

I just loathe to pay more than I have to, seeing as this is my first Job (costs covered only) and I haven't had any income for a while now.

Hope this makes sense to anyone, and hope someone can help me.

Thanks in Advance

Marc

Join Elecsa and you can notify it after your qs assessment. As for making money, year one is about covering your costs so don't be surprised when you are sitting sons for days at a time.

You don't need to pay anything to building control. Just go through your assessment and notify the work once registered. You have a certain time limit after the completion date of the job to the work being notified so make sure you arrange this so this works out. Call the NICEIC helpline about any other queries you have about your assessment, they should be happy to help.

You have not even been accepted by the NIC yet. So if you want to carry out work what comes under the Part P system you need to notify Building Control to let them know. To do that, you have to fill out a request form and pay for them for their service for them to check and make sure you do the job properly. Then they send a certificate of compliance to the property in question.

Welcome to the forum. Whereabouts in Hampshire are you?

As Murdoch says, Elecsa didn't even question me about LA notification when I did a similar job for my first assessment. Don't know about NICEIC, although they're both under the Certsure umbrella nowadays.

It can seem like a chicken and egg situation, but don't worry.
Cover the board change just before your assessment date.
Make sure you have all your relevant paperwork to hand with recorded results.
Test equipment, means of calibration, records,public liability, complaints procedures risk assessments, regs books, or on site guide ect.
Basically all the stuff they ask for in your introduction leaflets.
You have a good chance of getting through the domestic installer scheme.
Your board change is good for full scope, just need to cover a minor works for your 2nd job.
Once they have your money, and that's the most important bit from there perspective.
You will be either compliant or not on your assessment day.
Just do your homework and don't worry about ringing them for advice, as said they want yer money.
Forget building control, once your registered you will be given details for on line registration.
Just notify your first and future jobs through that.
Domestic installer isn't rocket science, and its primary use is a quick and easy way to cover your work under the part P registration scheme.
NICEIC is unfortunately still the best scheme provider for one reason.
The punters seem to know of them and usually ask if your NICEIC registered.
Nothing wrong with the other scheme providers but that's just the way it is.
Nobody will ask if your NAPPIT registered or ELECSA.
Again its a shame, but it is true.
If you have any doubts as said ring the NICEIC and put your questions to them.
Remember this is a forum, and whilst good for advice, you may get conflicting opinions that will confuse or worry you.
Good luck, get the tea and jammy dodgers ready.
And enjoy your first assessment cus you will be over the moon.
After that, the years come around and its just a pain in the backside.

Why's that then ? Your mean't to submit a Building Control notice before you start the work and if your not part of a Scheme shouldn't be doing the work. That's the correct procedure.

Once with a scheme provider your work is registered after, not before the works completed.
You will be asked for the date work was completed.
Notifiable work needs to be notified within 30 days of completion (from what I remember)
Thats why you can register the work after the assessment with the scheme provider.
In this case the OP is going for NICEIC.
Its going to cost him enough just to join, no point wasting his money by involving building control as well.
That's the procedure most electricians adopt when submitting, and also that's what the different scheme providers suggest.
Again to save conflicting view points I suggested he checked this out with the NICEIC.
That way he will be better advised, but I am confident its ok this way because that's what we did, and most of the sparky's I know over the years, with no problems.

Hi Guys, sorry is this has already been asked or if its in the wrong place. Have only just joined today :)

I recently completed my quals and am looking to register with NIC so I can notify and certify my own work.

I am planning on them assessing me on a board change I am doing at my mums (which will be my first job).

I got told by my instructor before I finished the course, that I should contact Building Control telling them I will be doing the work, and they should just say; OK, and leave it to the NIC to sort out through my assessment.

When I contacted Building control, they are asking for £200 to have someone 'watch me do the change, and then certify my work, so they can send the certificate out'.

Is that how it has to be done? I was under the impression that because the NIC are coming to check it for my assessment, I can write out the Cert's and they will then notify through them and I only have to pay one sign up fee to NIC and nothing to Building Control.

I just loathe to pay more than I have to, seeing as this is my first Job (costs covered only) and I haven't had any income for a while now.

Hope this makes sense to anyone, and hope someone can help me.

Thanks in Advance

Marc
River, Bridge and Jump over come to mind imagesYZLGEOUC.jpg

i've said it before and i'll say it again. BOYCOTT THE BLOODY SCAMS! can you see LABCs prosecuting thousands of sparks?

i've said it before and i'll say it again. BOYCOTT THE BLOODY SCAMS!

Isn't the domestic market racing rapidly towards a situation were you need to be in a scheme to get work ?

With the exception of chavs, druggies, cheapskates, those with learning diffs, and the vulnerable.
Most punters want to see some kind of logo and paperwork. Have I got that wrong ? I haven't a clue really - early days for me.:thinking:

Isn't the domestic market racing rapidly towards a situation were you need to be in a scheme to get work ?

With the exception of chavs, druggies, cheapskates, those with learning diffs, and the vulnerable.
Most punters want to see some kind of logo and paperwork. Have I got that wrong ? I haven't a clue really - early days for me.:thinking:

The only reason we joined up was to ensure compliance with part P for the customers sake.
There the one's who might end up in poo poo without notifying.
As I remember its there home so there responsibility to ensure the work is carried out by a registered sparks or involve building control directly.
For us its a lot cheaper registering online, and you can pass the saving on to the customer.
Better than £200 a throw.

Why not go knocking on all your neighbours doors and ask them if they have heard of Part P, then search on the internet how many people have been prosecuted for failure to notify. I am almost certain you will find the answer to be in single figures.

Reply to NIC Part P Assessment & The Building Control Authority in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net