• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss NICEIC application in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

Nicebloke

I am applying for the NEICE Domestic Installer scheme. I was an NiCEiC DI about 10 years ago and all they required was 2 pieces of work to see. Their website says that want to see the paperwork/evidence for all your electrical work over the past 12 months. I have been working for someone else so I can't produce the evidence/paperwork on that, and even if I had been working for myself I shouldn't have been doing notifiable electrical work over the past 12 months if I wasn't part P registered.

It also says that access to the sites must be within 30 minutes of each other (same as before). Do they still require 2 sites to see your work, or is one larger installation sufficient?

best to ask them. it's them who will be cashing your cheque.

You're best ringing them to ask, as what is said is required and what is actually required are often different things. It also depends who you talk to on the phone. A cleared cheque, a small job to see, and not blowing anything up on the day should see you through.

If it's just for notifiable work you may want to consider the cheaper Stroma scheme.

When you ring them do mention you are rejoining ...... A rare event I imagine.

If it's just part P you need then consider Stroma as they are cheaper

Stroma were very accommodating with me as it was my first scheme, they have a very good customer service line who will answer all your questions. They will want to see two new circuits this can be at the same installation.

Just for the record everyone, the Niceic is not a charity. It used to be. It made the Niceic brand into a business in 2005. The charity continued under the name of the electrical safety council, now known as electrical safety first.

Thanks for the info. I will look into the Stroma scheme as it might be worth considering especially being considerably cheaper.

I have been looking at a cheaper alternative to NIC although my friend gets phone calls from the NIC data base postcode searches.
The branding and faff of the NIC seems worth it because of the recognition of the brand alone.

I have been looking at a cheaper alternative to NIC although my friend gets phone calls from the NIC data base postcode searches.
The branding and faff of the NIC seems worth it because of the recognition of the brand alone.

This is solely for domestic work right ?

In my experience hardly any domestic customers are aware of part P, the schemes, requirements of membership, or any other requirements or regulations surrounding our work.

The commercial customers that have requested NICEIC membership have not known why they are asking me, and are usually under the illusion it is a central mandatory scheme. I've not had one refuse me once I have explained things to them.

I see scheme membership as a means to an end with domestic work so choose the cheapest. I prefer to generate my own reputation and work rather than rely on a badge to do that for me.

Thanks for the feedback and as a result I spoke to a very helpful down to earth (no pun intended) chap at Stroma and have paid my fees and will give them a try.

Reply to NICEIC application in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back