Discuss NICEIC from dI to Approved and breaking in to the commercial market in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

Welchyboy

Hi every1

my first post on this forum please go easy.

I have been workin for myself for around 5 years now as a sole trader, 11 years exp alltogether, JIB approved/nic DI, i mostly do domestic now about 85% - 15% commercial.
Now i feel i am established enough and have a good customer base, i want to upgrade to approved contractor status and also push for more commercial based works and possibly taking on an apprentice/mate.

I have two main questions really for anyone who has been in my situation or has any useful input;

1 - I have the following jobs so far to show this year if i go for approved (assessment in oct) -

1x new build house 5 bed/3 storey full spec
1x bowls club, new build, emg lighting, single phase
1x ind unit 3ph - 2 new single phase lighting circuits in SWA/son70 flood lighting via contactor

And whatever else comes in between now and then.

Would you say this covers enough scope to acheive full approved? i have spoke to the nic and they seem a little vague allthough they make out its a smoother process if your allready a DI and they only need to see 2/3 jobs but on the info pack it says 4/5.

2 - What have you found as good ways of pulling in more commercial based work?obviously advertising but how?, i have thought about sending a leaflet to companies offering cut price PAT testing as a start, just to get a foot in the door, what you think??

Thank you
paul

Go for it, and make sure your jobs are spot on and I mean spot on along with your knowledge of BS7671 and your testing abilities.

Going for Approved status is a proper assessment, they assess you and your company as an whole package.

Good Luck, and it will open doors if you succeed, but I would imagine you already know that.

Yeah thanks tonys,
i have been over everything with an ultrafine toothcomb to make sure its as good
as it can be, i have found out they offer a half day pre assessment which i think ill go for just to make sure im where i need to be.

I have lost out on a few real good jobs because i am not A/C yet which is a shame, but i suppose its worthwhile if you want to be taken seriously.

Approved status should'nt be a problem for you, they will be hot on the records you keep. certs issued , complaints proceedure. record drawings (as installed)
you don't nessecerily need to show them commercial job's to get approved staus but if you can all the better, the approved status will also include your part P regiatration

Bugsy regarding record drawings do you mean for emg lighting etc, i will have to get copies from the bowls club is it part of their fire plan? i have the original architects drawing from the job can i use this as my own and mark it accordingly?

As for the paper work, i think i have most of this in order from DI allthough will i need to do risk assessments and mtod statements even though its just me.

and will i need full copies of BS 5839/BS 5266 i have the electricians guide to each allthough i would only be installing up to grade D fire systems/domestic

Reply to NICEIC from dI to Approved and breaking in to the commercial market in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net