Discuss No Bonding to Water or Gas services in a Flat above a Shop unit. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

F

freedomrun

I'm looking at a CU swap in a Flat above a shop. The MET in the Flat has no Bonding to the Gas or Water present, i think it could well be connected to the services in the shop below the flat. I know i should i run new bonding up from the property below. I've been looking...... but where in the regs do i find the exact regs relating to properties containing multiple dwellings, each with a seperate MET and connection to the Gas and water services required. Many thanks for direction on this.

If you don't know it, you've already answered your own question!!!

You run your bonding cables to those services in each of the multiple dwellings, from the service pipes etc that are serving that dwelling area. And you can't do any work, like change the CU, until those bonding cables are in place....

You DON'T run your bonding cables from the shop below either!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, figured that was the situation. When this property was converted to a shop below, the bonding to the services had not been added to the seperate MET for the flat above. The Gas is not a problem to locate and bring to the MET, I will have to find the Water main to the flat and bond between that and the MET.

Snags and Solutions - a Practical Guide to Everyday Electrical Problems: Earthing and Bonding Pt. 1: Updated to IEE Wiring Regulations 17th Edition, BS 7671: 2008 Niceic: Amazon.co.uk: Electrical Safety Council, National Inspection Council for Electr

T
hough I don't always agree with the NICEIC stance on things, one thing they do well are publications and this one above is excellent, pretty cheap at under 20 notes and in it as the scenario your facing and all the answers. Well worth getting.

And a copy of GN 8 as well

Reply to No Bonding to Water or Gas services in a Flat above a Shop unit. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net