Discuss Not sure where or how to start in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

cwhite

Hi Guys

Apologies if this is in the wrong area but am new to the forum as getting fed up of searching google and getting confused.

I have currently been working in IT sales ( non Technical ) and have recently been made redundant and wanting to change career.

I have been looking into becoming an electrician for sometime but have decided that now is the time as I am not getting any younger ( 33 ). I have been doing research on google but can't seem to find any 1 answer the same so hoping someone on this site might be able to help out.

I am looking into Domestic installation. I can appreciate that this will take me years to be able to properly call myself a fully qualified electrician but am unsure of how to get started. The options that I have looked at are

1: Go to college part time and look for work once have the knowledge on paper and use the work to get the practical experience. Downside of this is the time taken to qualify ( on paper ). Please note that when I say qualify i only mean on paper as I know that only relevent time spent on the job classes you as fully qualified )

2: Do something similar to tradeskills4u course and then look at electricians mate jobs. Downside is cost

3: Try and find work as an electricians mate and study whilst working. Downside of this is hard to find work with no knowledge is difficult and I find my age doesn't help as there aren't any apprenticeships available

I am in the Berkshire area so any advice would be great or if anyone knows of somewhere in this area to contact

Thanks for your time

i'd go for option 1. and try and get some part time practical experience as a mate.

I agree by doing a domestic installers course you are restricting yourself only to compete with the others in domestic installation, and im not sure that youll ever be labelled an electrician just a DI.

being an electrician youll open a lot more doors having an option of more work and then choosing your path. id definatly go to college mate like you said its hard to find traineeships/apprenticeships but try and be a mate get in good with someone and fingers crossed stay with them for the duration of your training then happy days.

good luck mate

Reply to Not sure where or how to start in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net