Discuss NYY Buried Cable - Legit job? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

NYY Buried Cable - Legit job? 20210531_091223 - EletriciansForums.net

The Hager was installed a few years ago when we had AC installed. The consumer box to the garage is the larger SWA. He could not terminate into the Hager hence the plastic box. It does look like there is an earth wire from the gland.

NYY Buried Cable - Legit job? 20210531_091058 - EletriciansForums.net
At the other in the garage there is an earth wire coming off the gland. I cant see if the steel wire is connected to the gland but you would assume it is. I isolated the electrics before taking this photos.

Blue crimp on 4mm2? PVC insulating tape on joints? Equipment in DNO box?
It's not great is it? I paid £875 for this installation too. There was a bit of fiddling around in the garage too connecting the sockets and lighting circuit . He was here for 5 hours on the first visit then 2 hours replacing cable to SWA, I was expecting a thorough 2 days for that price. He is a definite NAPIT registered electrician. He had such a well-organised van as well! I had high hopes. He gives NAPIT a bad name, goes without saying he will not be used again by me nor recommended.

It is rough but the armour would appear to be earthed. That adaptable box in the meter cupboard could have been mounted externally butted up to the cupboard with the swa into the bottom. Who connected up the garage consumer unit as those cpcs look pretty rough and as above that blue crimp is not suitable for 4.0.

It is rough but the armour would appear to be earthed. That adaptable box in the meter cupboard could have been mounted externally butted up to the cupboard with the swa into the bottom. Who connected up the garage consumer unit as those cpcs look pretty rough.
I did not want that plastic box on the wall, this meter is right next door my front door I told him to put that in the meter box. He said it was too difficult to terminate straight into that Hager. Either that or he couldn't be bothered.

I did not want that plastic box on the wall, this meter is right next door my front door I told him to put that in the meter box. He said it was too difficult to terminate straight into that Hager. Either that or he couldn't be bothered.
It would not have been easy to get the swa into the Hager board and without physically being there it is difficult to judge. If it were me doing the job the box would have been external to the cabinet whether the client liked it or not.

It's earthed both ends. The garage end is metal box and has earthing nut. The source end is a bit rough.
But if he was told he can't put the box on the wall I have more sympathy.
I agree with him that I wouldn't want to be getting the SWA into the existing Hager - the bottom face is the only option and it looks too busy.

Last edited:

Reply to NYY Buried Cable - Legit job? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock