Discuss Has my electrician done a bad job? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The somewhat sad cable sheathing and colour coordinated single and double cable ties indicate (to me) this is Supplier works. The meter appears to be sealed. Making it up as I go - Mr Electrician has slit the meter seal, pulled fuse, removed tails inside at the old CU position, attached isolator and replaced fuse. And not reattached the means of earthing to the swa. Hopefully I am wrong.

It's out of the early 70s, but point taken telectrix ;-)
Don't forget that Tel lived through the 60's... the 70's was a blur after that !
[automerge]1598959860[/automerge]
The electrician is due back this week to finalise things and test.
Would be fun to inform the electrician that after he's 'finalised things' you'll be taking pictures and posting them up on here for comment...

To update you all, I've given the electrician a grilling on site today, informed by your tips.

On why he hasn't put in a switch fuse rather than an isolator, he said a switch fuse is not necessary because the isolator is already connected to a fuse in the meter box on the other side of the rear wall. (This is my layman's summary of what he said.)

On the loose earth cable - visible both on the kitchen wall and in the meter box - he said it is not in use; it is there for "future proofing" in case "powergen" change the supply cables.

He's coming back on Friday with a colleague to test and certify, so with the sidekick there for a second opinion my plan is to ask "why the heck couldn't you put all this stuff in a secondary meter box on the rear wall?"

To update you all, I've given the electrician a grilling on site today, informed by your tips.

On why he hasn't put in a switch fuse rather than an isolator, he said a switch fuse is not necessary because the isolator is already connected to a fuse in the meter box on the other side of the rear wall. (This is my layman's summary of what he said.)

On the loose earth cable - visible both on the kitchen wall and in the meter box - he said it is not in use; it is there for "future proofing" in case "powergen" change the supply cables.

He's coming back on Friday with a colleague to test and certify, so with the sidekick there for a second opinion my plan is to ask "why the heck couldn't you put all this stuff in a secondary meter box on the rear wall?"

He's wrong, and it's a mess, I'd hate to see the rest of his work. If he's getting a "colleague" to come test with him I'd put £10 on him not being registered, if he is registered with NAPIT,NICEIC,ELECSA,STROMA,ECA,SELECT then contact them, its dog rough.

Last edited:
I was giving an unknown situation the benefit of the doubt on this post - right up until the BS about the 'future proofed' earth cable and now knowing that he can't sign off his own work. If you're left in any doubt come Friday about his mate signing it off regardless of suitability ask one of us on here to take a look - I'm sure someone must be local enough to you.

"why the heck couldn't you put all this stuff in a secondary meter box on the rear wall?"

Whilst there is a fuse in the meter box it belongs to the electricity supply company and they do not permit it to protect more than 3 metres of your cable, unless you get written permission from them to do so (which you won't)
Your electrician either doesn't understand the rules, or doesn't care about them.

Unless you specifically asked for it to go in a second meter box, and arranged a builder to install a second meter box then I don't see any reason why they would have done that? Personally I would avoid putting this stuff outside if at all possible, I would locate it somewhere less conspicuous or agree beforehand what is to be done, but I would avoid installing it outside if possible.
[automerge]1599035119[/automerge]
I see nothing wrong with the 'future proof' earth cable, if they are anticipating a change to PME from TT.
Though that looks a lot like TNS that they just haven't bothered phoning the DNO to arrange an earth connection on.

Reply to Has my electrician done a bad job? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net