Discuss Old Mill Electrical Installation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Its likened to having a busbar chamber held closed with a wingnut...(how would you code this?) old boards are both dangerous to the general idiot and also the the competent electrician who has never seen such an aged board and as such should be treated with 100% respect and coded as such....the problem is that it is routine for unqualified non-competent workers to replace blown fuse wire but carries a risk of death unlike modern boards which dont require entry to reset devices and in most cases are designed to be finger safe within, the added danger here is that entry to the old fuseboard is invitable when a fuse blows where-as the busbar i meantioned dosn't have this problem.
well was working on an old mill in bradford recently it belongs to someone i know...(just off the thornton road/lister hills junction)....now that has a load of old boards and enclosures in there....and yep...wingnuts securing the lids. The busbar chamber has proper bolts securing the front thankfully.....there was a lot of cloth cable in there...which was shot...2 of the boards i condemned straightaway as the enclosures were damaged and the pot finger guards were badly cracked as well...theres some large metal trunking for the tails....all this is full of sharp edges and rags...i explained to him that it all needs bringing up to some sort of standard....but its the same old....money....felt like i had wasted my time really....

Same old story Glenn....they see that it's worked like that for ages and don't have the knowledge or experience (sometimes bad) to accept that things need upgrading.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again.... We probably work in the worst trade when it comes to getting people to listen to us.

Reply to Old Mill Electrical Installation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net